39 weeks and being induced

Ok im 39 weeks today and being induced at 7 am tormorrow morning.This is my first child and im very nervous because im not sure what to expect.Could someone enlighten me on whats gonna happen and is it goin to hurt real bad?thanks for ur help

alaina_20

Asked by alaina_20 at 1:07 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I say if you aren't doing it for medical reasons, wait.

Anonymous

• im 39 weeks as well and i am being induced on wed at 4 am
    all i now is that usually it is done with an iv drip called pitocen(SP?)
    and from what i have heard the induction contractions are more painful then normal ones.
    there is also a little bit of a higher risk of an emergency csection .
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:11 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• First they make sure you are hydrated.
    Then they put cytotec capsules into your vagina to help ripen the cervix. (May take up to 12 hours)
    They'll begin pitocin drip via IV.
    If your waters do not burst on your own, they will burst them with a crochet type hook and possibly put an EFM monitor on babies head to monitor their heart rate.
    They will up the pit drip until you are ready to push.

You are not permitted to eat. So have big meal tonight- think something with potatoes which have complex starches and will stay with you longer to have energy to burn. A downside to induction is mom is so out of energy they have to keep upping the pitocin, which wears out mom, so they have to turn up the epi- which slows things down- so then they up the pit, - and thus a cycle begins sometimes making it a long drawn out labor. (like my first was) and sometimes not. Thats why there is an increase in csection rates with induction.
    MamaCarterof5

Answer by MamaCarterof5 at 1:16 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I was induced too. The pitocin works on people in different ways. The doc told me it would take a long time. This is what happened.
    I went in at 7am and did the admittance. They checked my cervix and I was 3cm so they broke my water and put on the monitors. This require most of their hand. (Im sorry dear, but this isnt going to feel very good. Just BREATHE! Keep breathing through it.) Soon after that I felt pain in my back. They hadnt even started the pitocin and I was getting back labor! NOT GOOD! They started the drugs and I started gettting contractions every 4mins then every 2-3mins. I had to get an epidural. All I was having was beyond SHARP pain in my back. I tried all of the breathing and position changes and it just didnt work. By noon I was fully dialated and by 1:14 I had me a baby. I hope it goes as quickly for you. I know that some people dont respond to the pitocin as fast. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 1:16 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• You're going to be expecting a c-section!

Unless there's a medical reason, leave that poor baby alone! Babies WILL come when their ready, don't go trying to evict!
    Anonymous

• I was induced and had a great birth experience.  I know my story might not be typical, but people love to share horror stories so I like to balance it out with a good one.

They started Pictocin around 8 and he was born before 6.  I had no pain until they broke my water at noon.  Then the contractions were painful but bearable.  Some time early evening they came to do the epidural since I was only at 4 cm and the contractions were pretty bad.  The epi didn't work.  The nurse decided to check me before they redid the epi and it turned out I was fully dilated.  He was born after pushing through 2 contractions. 

>

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 1:18 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Pitocin induced contractions hurt really really bad- far worse than regular labor contractions do. I won't sugar coat it. I am 32 weeks and praying that I make it far enough long to have a homebirth so I can avoid the pitocin. It's just really awful in my honest opinon.
    MamaCarterof5

Answer by MamaCarterof5 at 1:18 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I firmly believe your state of mind is a huge factor in what kind of labor you have. If you expect it to be awful it will. If you focus on the fact that it will end in the greatest moment of your life then it will be much easier to get through. Congratulations!
    MAUREEN55

• ok anon .
    stop just becauase you get induced does not mean you will get a c section !
    and stop complaining for all you knwo she does have a medical reason to . do you know her do you know her medical history NO so just stop mmm kay ,.
    just like few people know why i am being induced you know why because my medical history and stuff is not news for the internet .so just stop you said your peice now stop repeating it
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:20 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I agree to an extent maureen- but after delivering 5 kids, and the last being twins without pitocin- I completely believe that as medical literature states, the pitocin contractions are much worse than normal.
    MamaCarterof5

Answer by MamaCarterof5 at 1:20 PM on Apr. 19, 2009