• In the Spotlight:

Why the push for "socialization"?

Back in the day moms didn't have time to set up play dates and put their kids in extra activities. Why the big push for socialization all of a sudden? Are you moms scared that your kids will grow up and be weird because they didn't participate in sports or didn't go to preschool?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:08 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't push for socialization at all. I push for social skills. They are NOT one and the same. Socialization is putting your child in a group of peers and expecting them to fend for themselves. Social skills is teaching your child skills to survive and thrive around a group of people of any age.
    My kids are not socialized. But, we do socialize our dogs. :)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:34 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Yes, back in the day they didn't know any better. I enjoy getting my daughter involved in activities, and she loves being around other kids, so what is the big deal??
    Anonymous

• OP: I ask because every other question in the "parenting" section has something to do with socializing the kids properly...sending them to preschool, putting them in sports, setting up playdates, and even bashing moms who choose to homeschool.
    Anonymous

• back in the day they had more kids and the moms didn't work- so there were always lots of kids playing in the neighborhood. and I don't think organized sports/Preschool is the same as the wonders of free play with neighborhood kids and being home with mommy.

I remember researching this a bit a while ago. the U.S.A. has the highest level (amount? I forget the exact word used) of Childhood Socialization Programs&Participation AND the USA has the Highest Incidences of Youth Crimes- according to a couple polls on the subject that I found. (though you can find polls that say anything I guess)
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 1:28 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• ANON Said: "Yes, back in the day they didn't know any better."

And back in the day there were less gangs, less bullies, less childhood violence, etc.

maybe the 2 are unrelated- and if they are unrelated- then saying " back in the day they didn't know any better." is invalid.
    Back in the Day they did what works for their culture. Same as today- people do what works for their culture and situation
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 1:31 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Susie- EXACTLY! great answer
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 1:36 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• i am a SAHM there are no kids in my immediate neighborhood my daughters age and she is an only child. so why playdates? that way she can play with other children, it gives her a chance to run around, be with other kids, and learn. she teaches them and they teach her, and as a mom i can teach her what sharing actually is by showing her instead of telling her. as for sports, she is also very very active she likes to climb and jump so if i can get her into something that teaches her the proper way to do that sommersault why not do it, that way she can learn and not hurt herself. preschool for me, is more the learning experience and preparing for kindergarden, for realizing that you are not the only person in the world, for getting used to a scheduled enviornment run by someone other than me. so its not "socialization" i'm not forcing her to be friends with anyone but if she learns skills and makes friends in the process why ? it?
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:40 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Wasn't Kindergarten originally meant to "prepare" kids for grade school? Now we're preparing kids for Kindergarten?
    Anonymous

• actually, now we are letting others prepare our kids for Kindergatden instead of doing it ourselves.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 1:58 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• If you would like more information look into reading "For the Children's Sake" or "Better Late then Early".
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:02 PM on Apr. 19, 2009