My neighbor's dog...

My neighbors have a large dog that is left outside at various times during the day. He doesn't bark 24/7, but when he does bark it always seems to be during my 1y/o's nap time or right after she's fallen asleep for the night. The dog is SO loud it always wakes my daughter up!!
We just moved in a little over a month ago. At first we thought we could deal, but this is a daily ongoing problem... They aren't breaking any noise ordinances but it's not something I can continue to ignore. Changing my daughter's nap time won't fix the problem b/c the dog is let out at different times throughout the day. I don't want to start a war w/ my neighbor, they seem like really nice people. Any suggestions?

IamLilysMom

Asked by IamLilysMom at 1:21 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Pets

• just tell them. ask if maybe they can try to keep the dog quiet at certain times. like say she naps 12-1, ask if the dog can be kept inside then unless he absolutely has to go out. and don't present it like you expect it of them, if they do it it will be a courtesy to you so ask like that is what you expect it to be a courtesy
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:23 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I agree with the first answer. we had neighbors at our old house that had a dog & had the same problem w naptime. I simply had a convo that I asked if it was possible to keep the dogs in from 1-2 & it worked really well. GL
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 1:40 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I agree with vabchmommy. I'd just put it to them like hey, it seems like every day I end up putting my daughter to sleep when the dog is out. I was wondering if we could set something where I put my daughter down for her nap between 1 and 2, and you could maybe keep the dog in during that time unless he really, really needs to come out? I would appreciate it so much. If you make it seem like they are doing you a huge favor, they may be more willing to do it. Otherwise,my suggestion would be maybe you could get some kind of white noise going that would drown the dog out some.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 1:46 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• .....call the animal control....
    Anonymous

• I had 3 kids that slept thru the vacuum, phones, music, construction work, everything. I find it hard to believe a dog barking is keeping a toddler awake, kids that age sleep thru anything.
    Anonymous

• Iv'e had this problem also and I told my neighbor I bought a water pistol and the next time his dog woke me up I was going to let him have it. He agreed and the next timeI really gave him a good soaking and he did stop. I have also tried with a different dog to get a cap gun and let him have it and agter about three times he stopped barking.judyplove
    judyplove

Answer by judyplove at 5:15 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Thanks to the first 3 answers :) I'll see if my husband would mind talking to them - I'm awful at confrontations!!
    Anon #1 - Animal control isn't going to solve the problem.. The dog isn't physically harming anyone & the owners aren't breaking any laws.
    Anon #2 - Good for you, I'm glad that your kids sleep through anything. Mine does not, she's a light sleeper. I'm pretty sure I know what's waking her up - thanks!
    Judy - haha, thanks for the suggestion. I dont think I have the guts to ask if I can "shoot" someone's dog. Although, these pregnancy hormones sure give me confidence to say/do things I normally wouldn't (but Im not always nice about it, lol).
    IamLilysMom

Answer by IamLilysMom at 9:52 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I was lucky too I had kids that slept though everything. I'm sorry your going through this and your right it is a difficult solution. I'd check to make sure you have no noise ordances in place. To me barking dogs drive me crazy and I have dogs. Can you turn on a fan or static on the radio as white noise?
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 1:23 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• yeah i had a neighbor ask me to bring my dog in during the day i was not offended at all so don't worry if they are nice they won't care.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 1:24 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• ya i would go to them first.if you are new believe me you dont want to start it off bad with the neighbors..i have a shepherd who does bark not all the time but once in a whilebut there are no new babies.if i was approached nicely i would cooperate.you can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar....
    raineydays377

Answer by raineydays377 at 5:41 PM on Apr. 20, 2009