Why?

I am 39weeks and Im starting to get worried I may have to get induced. My due date is friday. I see a lot of people getting induced on here. Im only 1cm dialated and havnt noticed any contractions at all. I couldnt even tell you what they feel like. Is this normal or could this mean my baby is going to be late. When do the docotors start trying to induce and why? How can I tell my dr. NO. I am trying an all natural birth that my ob's are not very supportive of in the first place.
Im trying not to be nervous about labor and delivery but it's so very hard. I cant even sleep at night. Mostly because my obs dont listen!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:27 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• they dont force you to induce .
    no it doesnt mean you r baby will be late. i had no contractions at all til i went in to labor with my first
    some people get induced because of medical reason . odds are if you dont have one your dr wont let you anyways . they wont induce you on you due date they would probably wait a week or two after your due date before ven suggesting it
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:29 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• JOIN THE NATURAL BIRTHING MOMS GROUP. THEY ARE AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AND CAN HELP YOU WITH A DIALOGUE TO USE WITH YOUR DOCTOR.

YOU are the boss.
    YOU pay the doctor.
    YOU have the right to say no.

Anonymous

• if your doctor suggests it ask why he is suggesting it. if they say well this could happen ask them to do an ultrasound and check on the baby. as long as they babies ok, and you are ok, they don't have to induce you. they usually do not suggest induction until you are about a week past your due date, be it b/c of lack of amniotic fluid, your body can't handle anymore, or fear the baby will get so big you have to have a c-sec. however if you are induced your c-sec risk goes up, b/c they will not let you leave (even with no progress) after being induced. personally i was induced b/c of my blood pressure and had contractions w/o progress for 3 days so they did a c-sec. i had a feeling from the begining of my preg that i would have a c-sec but would not go the induction route ever ever again!
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:34 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• my aunt was a month late with her girl, shes small boned. she was not that late, they went by her messerments and they were wrong. i had a woman dr. she went by my measurements, she said i wad due in feb. it turned out by my second dr. that delivered my baby, that i wasnt early/premature and i delivered her full term in her 39th week. jan. 14. some just get it wrong, because most go by average. i knew they were wrong. i was pregnant april 17th. thats the day of conception, thursday. the baby will come when she/her is ready, unless they are too big for you and they do have you on track by your due date and go by ultra sound, which is not 100 percent either, but close. good luck. when your contractions are an freguent for an hour and get closer, your most likely in labor.
    they induce you mostly if you go in at that far along, because you are already there, but most induces are recomended after you are 40 weeks.
    piggynoyce

Answer by piggynoyce at 1:57 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Your "due date" is just a guess. Some babies need to cook longer than 40 weeks. Just because you go over 40 weeks doesn't mean you have to be induced. All of my pregnancies have gone over 40 weeks, my longest being 42 weeks 1 day.

Babies will come when they're ready. Don't let a trained surgeon tell you that you need an induction. They will tell you your baby is going to die if you don't induce, it's a lie.
    MrsBlack530

Answer by MrsBlack530 at 2:04 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• your doctors cannot force you to get induced, they may push it on you, but like an above statement said thats not usually until you are like 2 weeks late, and if you have to bite their head off!! dont let anyone pressure you
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 2:50 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I was not dilated/effaced at all until my appt. 4 days before my due date, at which point I was maybe 1 cm and still not effaced. Two days later, I started having irregular contractions (which can happen for several days if not weeks, but this was my first time having them during the pregnancy), and the next night I went into full-blown labor, and 8.5 hours later I had a baby with absolutely no complications (VBAC, and on my due date). So not showing any "progress" before labor doesn't mean anything, it could still happen. And if you go long enough that your doctor does say something about induction, tell them you're not comfortable with it yet unless there's a problem, and don't schedule an appt. Good luck!
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:43 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• As to why they would induce conditions such as preeclampsia, a baby with low fluid, a placental abruption. If you go too far past your due date the placenta begins to die and can detatch from the uterine wall. This puts baby in a very dangerous place. Do not be afraid to ask questions as to why if your OB wants to induce. Talk it over with your hubby/baby daddy/other. I feel bad if you aren't comfortable enough in talking to your OB about this. I trusted my doctor 100% so when he said induction was best route I didn't need to question his judgement. Everything was fine. But go over all your options and make him/her listen. If you tell your doc you aren't showing up to be induced I guarantee that he/she will stop and listen.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 4:22 PM on Apr. 19, 2009