• In the Spotlight:

Is lotion safe now?

I have a 5 week old son, who gets little dry patches of skin. Is it ok to start putting lotion on him?

robbinsme

Asked by robbinsme at 1:30 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my DD get the dry spots too. i asked her ped about it when she was very little and they recommended eucerin or lubriderm. i used lubriderm until a nurse suggested aquaphor. the aquaphor is a little pricey, but it actually works best! if you do decided to purchase it, i recommend buy the tub of it. if you buy the tube, you will have trouble squeezing out the product when it is no longer full. hope that made sense! good luck! :)
    rachelsmommy78

Answer by rachelsmommy78 at 3:04 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Um...when wasn't it?
    Anonymous

• before i left the hospital the doctors told me not to use lotion on him for a few weeks because it can effect babies skin and possibly cause rashes. also, this is a legitimate question, if you cant answer with something besides a snide remark, dont answer!
    robbinsme

Answer by robbinsme at 1:33 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• um i put some on my 3 weeks son becuz of the same thing and he is fine it helped to!
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 1:40 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• On dry patches, I'd use vaseline or aquaphor rather then lotion, but that's just me.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:41 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I'm not trying to be rude.. I never knew you couldnt.. I've put lotion on my son since I brought him home.. Since I couldn't give him a bath bath I would wash rag him down and lotion him up so he smelt good... So I guess when you can give him a bath in a tub is when you can use it...So I would say.. If you can use the soaps you can use the lotion..
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 1:49 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• i agree with krysta. I used aquaphor or eucerin till she was 2 months on dry spots because IMO i feel it works better than just lotion
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 1:57 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Eucerin is your best bet, but if you're really having trouble with cradle cap or dry, scaly skin, Gentle Naturals makes and eczema baby wash, lotion, and cradle cap treatment that you can use from day one. Used it on both my boys. Found it at WalMart or Walgreens (pharmacy).
    hilbilimac

Answer by hilbilimac at 3:24 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I think you can try normal baby lotion, we used a lot of Aveeno, and unless your baby has super-sensitive skin he should be fine.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:26 PM on Apr. 19, 2009