how do i stop my 2yr old from getting my 3 week old sick?

my 2yr old son has a crazy bad bad cold its so bad its making him have astma attacks the doc just says give him treatments...but how do i stop him from getting my new baby sick?

Lacrisha

Asked by Lacrisha at 1:35 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• make sure he washes his hands, i would keep your older sons toys away from your baby, and i would probably run around with disenfectant every night too :) try to keep him from handling the baby, and make sure he knows if he sneezes or coughs he needs to wash his hands that way if he does handle baby its not after sneezing all over himself
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:42 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Don't let your son near the baby till he is better. Common sense.
    Anonymous

• ya thats a little freaking hard what do u want me to do lock my son up? i live in a small apartment its a little hard to keep them apart
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 1:39 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• thx ur much more help then the first person idk how that person expects me to keep him away
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 1:45 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I agree. Keep your son away from the baby.

Keep the baby in a play pen or something when you can. Don't let your son touch the baby.

One the other hand, just get ready for a baby cold. The baby has already been exposed.
    Anonymous

• I have 3 kids close in age - no matter how hard you try- the sickness always cycles through all of them.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 3:03 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Short answer? You don't. You can practice hand-washing and trying to separate them, but the germ theory of disease says that you would literally have to keep them from breathing in the house/car/etc. in order to completely prevent that. Now, if you nurse or pump breastmilk to feed your 3 week old, then your antibodies will be present in their bloodstream and help them fight off any infection that you have antibodies to. But that and hand-washing (yours, too--between kids) are your best bets.
    hilbilimac

Answer by hilbilimac at 3:20 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Breastfeeding helps... my 15 month old had a bad cold when we brought baby #2 home from the hospital and she didn't get it. Wash your hands constantly (yours more than your 2 year old's, IMO, because you're likely to get it), and don't let your 2 yo touch the baby's stuff. We kept like 8 spray bottles of child-safe hand sanitizer around and used it like crazy. But this is where breastfeeding makes all the difference.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:24 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• make sure he washes his hands. wash for 20 seconds. to make it fun sing the happyu birthday song. the whole family needs to be doing this.
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 4:59 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• i am breastfeeding so i hope it helps
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 1:41 PM on Apr. 20, 2009