101.6 F ???what to do???

my daughters 2yrs and 7 months...we woke up this morning and she was pretty warm...and she wasnt acting like herself...i took her temperature under her armpit and it was 101.6 f. She says her head hurts,and is constantly whining and crying...i gave her Tylenol and some juice..shes currently laying down in the fresh [a/c] room watching yo gabba gabba..she doesnt want to eat..so my question is does anyone know what else i can give her or do to make her feel better??im taking her to the doc 2marow..please any suggestions im kinda panicking..its my first child...HELP

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:47 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If her fever goes any higher, give her some more Tylenol. Take her temperature one hour after giving it. If it has dropped, great. If not...take it again in another hour. If it doesn't drop, give the doctor a call.

If it drops in the first hour but spikes again in the second hour, give the doctor a call. As long as it's stays below 103, just keep giving Tylenol.

101.6 is lowgrade. Just keep an eye on her and let her have "her" day. Whatever she wants, when she wants (to a certain degree!! lol)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:55 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• if tylenol does not work try motrin some children do not respond well to one or the other. try not to give her any milk that will upset her stomach if she has a fever and may make her vomit (made the mistake once no one had told me no dairy). otherwise like the first post said just keep her comfy, let her lay around and watch tv, give her popscicles if she won't drink anything to keep her hydrated
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:03 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Motrin works better than tylenol! .... give her some Motrin ....and then put her in a lukewarm bath....let her splash around... if it Goes any higher and no help from either Motrin or the Tylenol your giving her. take her to the emergency room, I am sure it isn't nothing to panic about though...its just a fever...mom get nervous all the time about it....give her some pedilyte~....she must drink if she refuses to drink you must take her to the ER.....they have to be kept hydrated thats the major...thing...

how is her stool???????

LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 2:15 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Watch the Motrin, though, if she's never had it before. None of my three can take it...makes them puke.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:26 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Don't worry about the temp for now. My doc says under 1 year of age 102, 2-3 years 103 and over 3 years 104 is when to give MOTRIN not tylenol. Let her rest, but do try to get her to at least drink preferably breastmilk or pedialyte to stay hydrated. let her body do what it needs to fight off whatever she has. Yes cow's milk can nake her vomit, ,but breastmilk should be fine if you are nursing.
    Anonymous

• At this age (and for the rest of her life) you don't need to worry about fevers under 102.5. Remember, a fever is one of the weapons her body uses to kill the germs that are making her sick. If you force a low grade fever to go away, you take that defense away as well - and she will probably be sicker, longer.

If she is miserable and can't rest, then yes, give her pain meds to help with the discomfort. But don't give them to just knock out the fever.

Don't worry about her not wanting to eat. That's what body fat is for - fueling our bodies while we are sick and don't want to eat. The critical thing is fluids. Peidalyte if she'll drink it, milk, water, juice. The old wives tale about no milk if there is a fever is just that, a silly old-wives-tale. If she'll drink the milk, great! It's a little extra nutrition.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:28 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I would be careful of mixing the meds. If her temp drops too fast - you will have much worse problems to deal with. All of my kids relax better after a bath. If they don't feel well, I set them in a room temp. bath with some toys. Let them play for a bit and when they get out, don't let her get a chill. Seems she may just have the yucky's, comfort will be the best medicine.
    DKM

Answer by DKM at 5:29 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I know exactually what you are going through. My DD had a temp of 102.4 and after tylenol, it's now at 101.6, 20 minutes after giving it to her.

The only things we can do, is make sure they are getting enough fluids, and keeping an eye on their temps. If it goes up too high, take them to the ER. Otherwise, we are stuck waiting and seeing. I know what you mean though, this is my first too, but not her first fever. It really sux though. PM me if you want.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:59 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I'd try giving her more liquids and a luke warm bath and give some tylenol.
    ladyluck09

Answer by ladyluck09 at 9:45 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• she might be getting her two year teeth in too. the back ones my son did about that age ask her if her mouth hurts or feel with your finger see if they are coming in.
    ladyluck09

Answer by ladyluck09 at 9:46 PM on Apr. 19, 2009