can the goverment take my baby cause i'm underaged?

i live in new york, and my mom says that now that i'm pregnant is the government will come and take my baby away as soon as i have it. is this true because im really scared for my child.

newmommycarly

Asked by newmommycarly at 1:58 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• your mom doesnt sound like she is the best thing for you right now, you need comfort, assisted, and support. you are young and made choices, its okay. when you get older you will understand more and grow stronger, just know that your mom probably loves you still she just doesnt know how to react to this, i dont know your situation and i know some moms dont care for there children or are not in the right place to be who you need them to be. just be forgiving if your mom does love you, and live with a family member that is best for you and your baby, if your mom is lieing to you like that and being controlling, go to the court house and find the area for children and parents, if you want to live with someone else like your aunt or grandma you can, your mom cant keep you there. and let her know you still love her but cant have live with her right now. be nice. there is help out there and insurance for you and your baby.
    piggynoyce

Answer by piggynoyce at 2:11 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• no .. why would you believe that . do you not know how many teen moms there are these days?
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:00 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• i think youre mom is trying to scare you into having an abortion
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 2:02 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• lol your mom, not you are mom :p
    aliciatron

• Do you live with your mother? Its so not true, stay in school also. Have your baby and you can still be a great mom even being a teen. Ppl do the best they can, with what they have. Good Luck! Your mom should be more supportive though, sorry! Hope theres someone out there to lean on for support.
    faithful78

Answer by faithful78 at 2:13 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• No, in fact you can possibly become an empancipated minor more easily now that you are going to be a parent. That means you would be considered legally an adult, even if you aren't yet 18. It's not something to pursue lightly, and comes with serious responsibility and the possibility of alienating those who are in the best position to be your support system (which every mother needs, from 16 to 46) ... I wouldn't recommend it in most cases, personally; but rest assured they will NOT take your baby simply because you are not 18 yet. If they take your baby it will be for the same reasons they remove other children from their homes: abuse, neglect, or endangerment. Being a teen mom is not a crime.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 2:13 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• you can get papers from the court that will make you known as an adult and you can apply for financail assistance and housing after your baby is born. get someone not family, that is a counseler recommended by insurance, your case worker who you can talk to weekly for support and advise so you dont feel lost and get down. they will help you with day care so you can finish school as well. you can do this if you want to do this. good luck. i wish the best for you.
    piggynoyce

Answer by piggynoyce at 2:17 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I had my baby at 17 (although some places thats considered an adult) no one took my baby. I have a cousin who had a baby at 16, no one tried taking hers..
    Your mothers info is inaccurate.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 2:27 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• hell no. they won't. you made the baby, your the one carrying the baby, he/she is YOURS. Don't let that scare you. Shes a liar big time.
    kylesboo

Answer by kylesboo at 2:33 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• That isn't true AT ALL. They can only take the baby if you are doing drugs while pregnant, and a few other things. Don't let her scare you like that. You can come emancipated once you have your baby. Don't let her scare you or anything out of something you want. Talk to a school staff member about who to talk to or where to go to get help and to talk about things like emancipation and what all of your options are. She's really just trying to play you like a fool.
    Good luck and if you want to talk, message me, i got pregnant and had my first at seventeen so i know LOTS of what you're probably going through!!! =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 2:45 PM on Apr. 19, 2009