How do i get my 4 year old to potty train before he starts pre k in August?

Ive tried everything, nothing works any suggestions? Help.....

stoddard6

Asked by stoddard6 at 2:23 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Let him pick out his reward, and his new cool under-roos. Then tell him that they don't make big boy sizes in diapers any more.
    ShesaWilld1

Answer by ShesaWilld1 at 2:39 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• i used m&ms with my kids and it worked really good my daughter was potty trained by 2 1/2 and my son was almost 3.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 2:56 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Don't feel bad, I am having this problem with my almost 4 year old. I have tried rewards, bribes, underwear, putting her potty seat in front of the TV, giving her more to drink..And nothing. She will sit there, grunt and groan like she is trying to pee and..nothing.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:30 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• my daughter loves to wash her hands. she only gets to wash her hands in the bathroom if she successfully went potty. neither one of my kids ever really used the potty chair. they like the big toilet.
    boomfox

Answer by boomfox at 5:22 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Well my first question is pre-k? Huh? Why? Want to get rid of him already? Think he needs some sort of special socialisation instead of being a kid with you? Ooookay, whatever.

As to potty training, have your husband, brother, father, or some other male relative whom you totally trust, show the child. Make a game. "Sink the boat" worked for the boys I raised, so well that the oldest trained the other two. If your child can't "aim" from floor level, get him a box.

For bowel training, well guess what, the child's body may or may not be physically capable of retaining bowel movements yet. You'll have to try it out. Give him "Big boy pants", and NO, I don't mean the disposable psuedo-diaper garbage, I mean cloth briefs. Tell him not to mess them up, or he can't wear them.

Works in less than 3 weeks, both methods -- IF AND ONLY IF the child's body is physiologically mature enough in the first place.

Good luck.
    Morniel

Answer by Morniel at 7:41 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I went through this...We had a potty party! There is a book, I think it is called "Potty train your child in one day" Their idea is that you can potty train a child in one day as long as it is the right day. It worked for me. I woke him up with balloons & streamers over the potty & wrapped up a few new pairs of character underwear. It was a day when I didn't do anything except play with him, no laundry, telephone, no outside distractions. I had many activities planned & we had a blast. I used a stuffed animal as an example of going to the bathroom, and by lunch time he was going. We had our first trip out of the house without a pull-up to cc's. (we brought a change of clothes & took several potty breaks) I did it over a year ago & my son still talks about it. He has asked me if he could have another one :) Even if it doesn't work you will both have a full day of fond memories.
    Amy82

Answer by Amy82 at 8:30 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• wow - that last person was kinda harsh about the pre-k thing...
    my son is 4 and we got him finally potty trained less than a year ago (he's almost 5) - so I feel your pain.

With him, we couldn't make a big deal about it. Rewards, big boy underwear, whatever -- nothing worked. Finally, I resulted to making him walk to the bathroom every 20 minutes so he would get on the toilet and go. When he did - that's when I would reward him - that taught him to just tell me when he would have to go, instead of having me annoy him by making him go to the bathroom all the time. So, when he would have an accident - we would just start all over. I also made sure he know how badly he stunk when he had an accident -- more motivation to try to get to the bathroom. (I didn't make him feel bad - I just made sure he knew that mom and dad didn't do that... lol)

I wish you luck - and all kids are different - there are a million approaches!
    katygirl83

Answer by katygirl83 at 8:32 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• My daughter was very stubborn about not using potty so I got a Kitchen timer from the doller store and set it every 15 min I think she got sick of the ding its potty time lol and started going on her own it worked in 3 days for us
    Ammc

Answer by Ammc at 12:23 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• My son is almost 3 and we are in the process of potty training. I've heard all different kinds of methods - some very strange. This is our 3rd attempt - the first two times he began resisting after two days or so. I was told that it shouldn't be a traumatic or forced thing, so I stopped. This time, I prepared myself more and he pretty much let me know that he was ready. I tried to get him in with Daddy in the bathroom as much as possible. Once we started up again (two weeks ago) he was ready. I also set a timer, but it was soon lost (he hid it somewhere - lol). He hasn't had an accident in over a week. We don't give rewards - we just have a little "woo hoo" party after he goes in the potty and he loves the praise and encouragement. He isn't talking much yet, but he will tap me on the leg and point to his undies to let me know he has to go. Good luck & don't stress - he'll get there.
    Anonymous

• Wow Morniel, that was weird about pre-K. Doesn't almost every kid go to pre-K? I had luck by just putting them in underwear. It only took a few days after that. But absolutely do not go back to diapers or pull-ups (except at night).
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:53 AM on Apr. 22, 2009