So...how do you deal with an 18 year old high school senior that says to mom "I don't need you"...?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:33 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• lol, been there done that. Just smile and wish them well. They think they have the world conquered at that age. Let him/her go and find out for themselves what life has to offer. he/she will be back with an apology soon enough!

Answer by admckenzie at 2:34 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• If they dnt need you...then let them have a taste of what that would be like. If you pay for their car then take the keys, take the phone, dnt cook, no house phone, put a lock on their bedroom door....that contains all the things you most likely purchased.
    Teens generally dont understand how much they need you until they dont have you.
    LimoMOM5

Answer by LimoMOM5 at 2:38 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Goodbye?
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:44 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Im still quite young, and i thought that growing up and moving out of the house would be sooo fun and easy, no more rules etc. well once I was out on my own I learned that life is not a bag of potato chips. your daughter sounds kinda like I did when I was 18 just let her do her own thing and she will learn the hard way of life and actually realize and appreciate all the stuff that you taught her; after that she will realize that yes she does still need you
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 2:55 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Just say Thank you. Where can we move your stuff to?
    Anonymous

• JUST SAY "SURE YOU DON'T", IT IS A VERY COMMON THINGS FOR KIDS THAT AGE TO THINK, LET HIM PROVE IT TO YOU.

Answer by older at 3:40 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• LOL, that is normal . Don't worry about it. Next time he/ she asks you for something, tell them what they said to you and watch their jaw drop! They "think" they don't need you but they will need mom for years to come. Its no big deal.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 4:00 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• goodbye! if they dont need you i guess they dont need to live there or eat there, or do anything else they do there. pack them a sandwich, give um a roadmap, and send them on their way.
    they'll come back quick
    LoniRae89

Answer by LoniRae89 at 5:28 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Smile patiently and say, "The fact that you are saying that shows just how much you really do!" and walk away.
    VincentsYaya

Answer by VincentsYaya at 6:38 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Oh teenagers.....aren't they lovely. I agree with my friends above. She would be cut off from the things that you provide. Phones, computers, CDs, and hair products to name a few. Pray that she grows up and smells the coffee. What is she planning to do right now? Take heart this too shall pass. grannywilson
    grannywilson

Answer by grannywilson at 11:33 PM on Apr. 19, 2009