I have a robin building a nest above my back door. It is making a huge mess & no matter how many times we take it down, it is back the next day. Any suggestions on how to get her to find a new spot?

bloomsburgmom

Asked by bloomsburgmom at 2:40 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I'd leave it, enjoy the photo and educational oppurtunites.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 2:50 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Are you knocking it down or touching it? They won't use it if your scent is on it. So break it apart and throw it in the trash. You can also try putting up a cheap little bug zapper they don't tend to enjoy the sound to keep them away. Can you block off the area with a potted plant of anything?
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 3:59 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Aren't robins funny? We have a wall-mounted mailbox by our front door. We have a little roof over the porch and EVERY year, the robins try to build a nest on top of the mailbox. It gets knocked off every day when the mail is delivered because you open the mailbox on top. But, the robins keep trying to build it there. (I often wonder if it's the same robin year after year.) I have thought of buying one of those children's pinwheels to put near the mailbox, but I wouldn't know how to attach it.

We also have a problem this year with a robin flying into one of the garage door windows, pecking at it, etc. It is a mirrored window (so people cannot look into the garage) and I guess this bird thinks it's seeing another bird. Trying to mate maybe? We cannot figure out how to get it to stop doing this either!
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 10:37 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• My neighbor has a couple of CDs attached to a string and tied to the rooftop. Maybe that would keep them away.
    zboys

Answer by zboys at 1:22 AM on Apr. 20, 2009