DS hates his car seat!

Help! I can not figure this out for the life of me. My 5-wk son hates his car seat. Everytime we strap him in he starts crying...and cries and cries and cries! We have checked the straps, tighten them a different way, bought strap protectors, etc. Still he cries when in his car seat. He has an infact car seat that you can carry him around in. Are all infant seats the same size? Should we buy him a new car seat? He is around 12lbs...so he meets the size requirments and weight. HELP! Any suggestions are appreciated!

RoseLAnderson

Asked by RoseLAnderson at 3:06 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, it seems like he is just going to have to get used to his car seat. there is not a whole lot you can do about it. He has to be in it so....??
    Anonymous

• so did mine. He cried and screamed and arched his back......

Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 3:15 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• My youngest screeched like he was being pulled apart when in his carseat. One trip, he cried for two straight hours, but we had to keep him in the seat while we drove! We eventually tried using the car seat in the house for rocking him, putting him up on the counter while I fixed dinner, putting him on the sofa while I folded clothes, that kind of thing....eventually he kinda liked being in there...it was strange...he'd even take little naps there. We had tried everything else. Even today, at 3, he doesn't mind him carseat one bit.
    hilbilimac

Answer by hilbilimac at 3:32 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Mine did the same thing till he was about 8 months old when I couldn't take it any more and put him in a forward facing seat.
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 3:43 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• It's probably a phase, my second daughter really hated hers, too, but once she became more aware of her surroundings and could hold a toy it got much better. You can try borrowing someone else's carseat to see if your baby likes another one better, but unless that works I wouldn't spend any money on one. He should outgrow it... But if he doesn't it's just tough luck... putting him in a forward facing seat before he meets the requirements is putting him in danger.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:49 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• My 4 month old did the same thing and still does. I always have a paci ready. I think that that is an ok time for them to get a paci because there is absolutely nothing either of you can do to make the situtation better. She did it every time when she was younger and now she doesnt do it half as much. Sometimes I put her in the seat with the paci in, then talk to her and make her smile. THen I take the paci out and tell her how she is a big girl so doesnt need it. I close the door and we take off. But dont do anything that is against the law when it comes to their seats, its a law for a reason. And I have two toys hanging on her seat too, they hang down and sway with the movement, she Loves playing with them. She will play with them for all of a 30min car ride. It goes away, just give it time.
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 3:51 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• A different car seat helped mine. We bought a compass true fit. It's a little under $200, but is a long lasting car seat. You'll need a convertible eventually, so may as well consider it now. The one we got is really cushy.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 4:40 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• my daughter hates hers now. she's just getting used to it. what i do find that helps take the whole thing apart put the baby in it and rebuild the straps and make sure they are adjusted right
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 5:05 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Mine hated his too, but because(I think) he wanted to be held all the time, but you just can't hold them in an infant seat! If you have moved the straps up and loosened them, etc. There's not much you can do, sorry
    Harrisonsmommie

Answer by Harrisonsmommie at 5:10 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I know a little girl who hated hers and would arch her back and screech and cry for the entire trip. After a couple of months her mom met a chiropractor and he suggested an adjustment. After the adjustment she was like a whole new baby. There was something that made her so uncomfortable that she couldn't sit in the seat, but immediately afterward she was fine. I don't know exactly what the problem was but it could be worth a shot.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 5:42 PM on Apr. 19, 2009