why do "christians" have to be this way

I have been hurt so many times by the churches I have went to. I just dont have faith in them anymore so I dont even go because seems like something always happens that tears the church apart but my kids still like to go and this morning they got up and got ready went to my sisters church. She is a sunday school teacher for the little kids and my daughter is a teen but wanted to go in my sisters class because she felt more comfortable and the preacher,teen sunday school teacher and his wife was all pressuring her to go into the teen class. The teen teachers wife go into my sisters class every sunday because of her boys and she was trying to kick my daughter out of the class. She cried and text me that she is never going back to that church again. What did it matter at least she was in church. Its s#$t like this that turns me against churches and I was raised in church my whole life. My sis took up for her but she still hurt.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:31 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• IDK. I've been booted out of so many I can't count them all. Some i just left b/c of the hypocrites and some we were asked to not come back. And still others welcome me back as long as my boys stayed home. (They have autism) Anyway, yeah it drove me away from church and ultimately away from god. (well at least partly away from god) It's ok though. I've been happier since. I guess it was not my path to be on.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 3:38 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Im sorry people do this... however we need to be in a church that helps us grow. We are not supposed to have faith in a church but in God. If we base our walk in what church we go to we really miss the whole point. People will offend and we need to learn to forgive that offense even if it hurts. What I see happening is offense and that does need to be dealt with.
    I understand being hurt in churches... been there done that ! How do I deal with it? Forgive and move forward.. its not about them but about Christ Jesus.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:41 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I guess because they're human and they're not as close to God as they should be. I'm sorry you had to go through that and I hope you can find it to love God anyway. Christians aren't perfect. No one but Jesus is or ever was perfect, so please find it in your heart to forgive those people.
    Anonymous

• its sad when things like that happen I got kicked out of youth group when we got our new youth minister (he was there 2weeks & kicked me & 5 others out bc he 'assumed' we were 'bad kids' I didn't go back for 2 yrs bc of it & then I realized it wasn't worth loosing my soul over. I'm back at the same church & I avoid that man & his family like a plague but I know why I'm there. Sadly though 2 of the ones & about 15 others left & have written off church all together. I hope this man understands that just bc he's at church every Sunday doesn't make him better then the rest of us & his actions have driven ppl away. that's something he has to live with. I hope you & your daughter can find a church that welcomes you & makes you feel comfortable being there.
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 3:46 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• The Kingdom of Heaven can be found within. Look within, that is where your answers are. If you are not joyful about something, then it's obvious it's not for you. Unitarian churches are very very inclusive of everyone and all faiths. Check it out. Even autistic children can come (some have special rooms where you can be with them and listen to the service as well).
    mehamil1

Answer by mehamil1 at 3:51 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• IMO it is because so many Christians live the facade of being a Christian but truly don't understand what it means.

I have never ever been to a church that is not full of grotesque hypocrisy. I am sorry for what you have had to experience and for 2autisticsmom as well. I feel at peace with myself and God much more WITHOUT church. It is so full of negative that it truly takes away from my spirituality. I do not blame you for not wanting any part of it and I actually respect the fact that you pay attention to the wrong doings. I know many many people that ignore the wrong simply because it is a church.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 3:51 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• You know, that is the BIG question, there are ALOT of snooty, and mean people who consider themselves "chrisians", but in yhe bible, the definition of christianity was " a person who strives to become like christ." but also, if we refer to John, it says "oh Jesus, you are so accepting, everyone is pure and worthy in your eyes" but now, these days, a person can walk into a church, in what they usually dress in, and get shunned, because they arent wearing a suit and tie, or a beutiful dress. i think some churches try to accomidate the people like that, but there is a VERY appearant caste system. i believe it is TONS easier to be a christ follower, rather than a christian, i raise my kids to think for themselves, and have a RELATIONSHIP with christ, not just know him as the man they worship on sundays.
    brentlymom

Answer by brentlymom at 4:13 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• You don't need church.

There should be nothing standing between you and your god, and contrary to what some people thing, gods do not need interpreters.
    MizKizzy

Answer by MizKizzy at 5:48 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• OFF TOPIC: I don't believe the Bible teaches that the Kingdom is within each person and here's why.
    Luke 17:21, KJ: “Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you [also TEV, Dy; but “among you,” KJ margin, NE, JB; “in the midst of you,” RS; “in your midst,” NW].” (Notice that, as shown by verse 20, Jesus was speaking to the Pharisees, whom he also denounced as hypocrites, so he could not have meant that the Kingdom was in their hearts. But the Kingdom as represented by Christ was in their midst. So The Emphatic Diaglott reads: “God’s royal majesty is among you.”)
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 5:59 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• IMO it is because so many Christians live the facade of being a Christian but truly don't understand what it means. I have never ever been to a church that is not full of grotesque hypocrisy. I am sorry for what you have had to experience and for 2autisticsmom as well. I feel at peace with myself and God much more WITHOUT church. It is so full of negative that it truly takes away from my spirituality. I do not blame you for not wanting any part of it and I actually respect the fact that you pay attention to the wrong doings. I know many many people that ignore the wrong simply because it is a church.

Hannahwill, I couldn't have said it better!  I agree 100%!  It's why my DH left the catholic church, why I left the UCC, and why my son no longer attends.  You can still believe and have faith and celebrate God without going to church!  His church is all around us everyday!

dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 6:35 PM on Apr. 19, 2009