Part- 2-Help! I am the single Mom of a 7 year old boy who's behavior is out of control.

His Dad is BiPolar and has a severe temper.
Lately he has been telling me that he has bad thoughts of bad words in his brain about me that are invading his mind. I tell him that Jesus wants us to respect our Mother and Father and that is the devil trying to sway him to the wrong things. Now he is saying he has bad thoughts about Jesus in his mind and about me. I dont know where to turn , he really is a sweet smart , helpful, wonderful boy. He is just consumed with getting his way, his temper, and control.
Can anyone give me any ideas or has gone thru this. I am very depressed about it and while I love him more than life , lately, cannot stand to spend the day with him. At times he is perfect. It is like he is 2 children. He goes from wonderful to Damion in seconds.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:45 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• if his dad is bipolar maybe he is as well? is that genetic? i would take him to a phsyciatrist
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:46 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• first of all i apologize for the bad spelling/grammer im feeling sick: i think it's just a faze my daugther also would get scared about that dont tell him it's something bad telling him to o that cuz it will get him more scared. just explain its because he's so smart his brain thinks things that he cant always control... but it's like dreams they are not his fault. he knows what he truly believes and that's all that matters.

let's say that it's a few months later and he's still really angry and then really normal... get him checked for bipolar but dont scare him, just love him and help him.

good luck!
    A.W.96

Answer by A.W.96 at 3:58 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Bipolar can run in familes. I had a grandmother, her two sisters, my uncle and my aunt that all had it, so I carefully watch for it in myself and my children. If his father is bipolar and your son is telling you these things, I strongly recommend you get him to his dr, describe these things to the dr and tell the dr his father is bipolar. It may be just a phase, but when it comes to bipolar, which can make people feel suicidal, I think it's better to be safe and to KNOW for sure that's all it is. I sincerely hope it is nothing more than a phase, but have him checked out to be sure.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 4:41 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• talk to your dr. get him help.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 5:00 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• OK. That's what I was going to ask about. It sounds like bi-polar, but it also sounds like ADHD. You may want to get him in to see a psychologist. I think it's best to do it as soon as possible, before things get worse. My son is ADHD, and is on concerta. I know a lady who's daughter is bi-polar, and she acts much like your son. She's on meds now, but I don't remember what it is. ADHD kids are very smart. They just can't calm down to focus, and that makes them angry. I'm not saying your son needs meds, but he might. Get him evaluated, and you can then make better decisions. He will also benefit from therapy, so try to get him into that, too.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 5:17 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Yes, I agree with the masses here, he sounds like a good Dr. could help. ADHD and Bi polar are all REAL medical conditions that could be helpped with the right approach. The other disorder is ODD that comes to mind. Don't allow it to effect you or his home life any more. See someone soon, so that you both can return to a happy and healthy life style. You would be suprised how much you will enjoy life with him again.
    Mine is 5 and I also got to the point where I emotional couldn't handle being around him for long days without losing my mind. We have happily been on a small dose med for 7 months and even he likes his behavior. He loves not always being in trouble. And I love seeing him proud of him self. It was well worth the few $$$ and appointments to see my son happy!! GL
    Anonymous

• Yes, since his dad is bipolar please have him evaluated asap. You want to make sure that he receives the best care possible at this young delicate age. Good luck!
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 5:17 PM on Apr. 20, 2009