Why do formula companies advertise?

Well, why does ANY company advertise? I'm so darn sick of the Breastfeeding Police here on CM complaining about how formula companies give out samples, diaper bags, growth charts, etc. So what? Have you ever walked into a doctor's office and NOT noticed the Tylenol pen to sign in with? The Motrin stationary the doc uses to write instructions on? The box of tissues with Flonase printed on it? Oh, and were you not just a bit happy when your doc gave you a sample of medication to try, before he wrote the script and you had to pay big bucks for it? It's called ADVERTISING people! I swear the Breastfeeding Patrol will look for any reason to diss formula companies (I know, it's their calling in life to warn us of that horrible poison our kids drank and ended up, well- SMART and HEALTHY). Get over it already. Pharmaceutical Reps need jobs too, in case you haven't noticed there aren't a whole lot of those around! AGREE??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Um...they're not a charit0y. They are a for-profit company. Why wouldn't you advertise a product that is needed by millions of women?
    Anyway, I get why you posted. Some people just don't get it.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 6:22 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• so... you don't really have a question..
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 3:50 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• They do it because formula is great for those who don't want to or who need to use it. Some times you don't get milk or you get an infection or you just plane don't want to breastfeed so the advertise so the mothers out there who need the formula are aware of what is out there. They say breast it best and I say until he grows working ones Similac or Enfamil will be my breasts.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 3:55 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• my doctors office also has samples for breastfeeding moms...be it creams for your nipples, bottles/nipples that are supposed to be close to the breast, pacifiers that are "best" for breastfed babies, and they also pass out the formula and what not for formula babies. so its not just formula companies that advertise the people that profit from breastfeeding advertise through your doctor as well
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:01 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• precious333...she had several question in there. Do you not recognize a question mark when you see one?
    Anonymous

• NIPPLE CREAM>>>>>>>>>>>>MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    Anonymous

MEOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MEOW????????????????????????????
    Anonymous

• To keep their market share. If women brightened up, they have free formula right on their chests.
    Anonymous

• Well, doesn't any company want their market share anon? And I AM bright, by the way. I am bright enough to make the best decision for myself and my baby and that decision is to formula feed. Bash away!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• you know, i always here that formual companies advertise that "breast is best" i am looking at a formula add in parents magazine right now and no-where does it say breast is best...for whatever the reason, women who choose not to BF should know their options. i LOVED the free cans and samples and shit that i got when i was preggo.
    Anonymous