I don't understand....

Why is there so much controversy over BF? I am sure this topic has been covered and re-covered, but I am new to the site and just a little ticked off at the moment. I am planning on BF, and now I am worried because I don't want to be harassed for feeding my DD if I have to do so in public. This is just a LITTLE ridiculous....it is ok for a 15 y/o girl to wear a shirt cut clear to her belly button, or to walk around in a bikini, it is ok for women to be all but totally nude on the television and in movies, it is OK when a woman's breasts are sexualized...but when they are being used for their natural purpose, and almost completely covered, then it has to be a decency issue?!? What is wrong with people?!?!? I am going to have to protect my daughter from SO much violence, nudity, drug content, etc in the media...to have her walk down the street and see a mother nursing would be the LEAST of my worries!

IzzysMommy87

Asked by IzzysMommy87 at 3:58 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Seriously, without an 'anonymous' button to hide behind, people are so much more polite! Many people who will post negatively in a forum on the internet would not actually give someone a hard time in a public setting. I would try not to worry too much about it, and don't let it sway your decision to bf. I've bf'd three kids (all past a year) and have never had anyone (besides my MIL- a whole different story there!) say a word to me. I'm in Ontario and bf'ing seems to be more commonplace here in public, but even so as long as you are not parading topless through the mall I think most people will keep opinions to themselves.
    I completely agree with your post that we have the breast completely backwards in our society. I think that people fear if we see breasts used to feed babies it will detract from their natural purpose- you know, selling beer and cars and Playboy magazine. Wait- that's not what they're really for?? ;)
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 6:16 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• lol, honestly the controversy over it is worse here on CM than it is in the real world (from my experience anyway). I never had any rude remarks in public while BFing my son. Dont let cranky mothers sway your decision.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 4:02 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Breastfeeding is a personal choice and as long as your do it with dignity and respect its not an issue. When you make it know in public sometimes others get offended. If your discreet about it and your not flashing your whole breast to the world while doing so many people don't have an issue. I only hate seeing it when women are bear breasted while their child is not near them and they are just taking their time getting the baby. If your child is hungry then feed her, there is a difference in breastfeeding and making a scene.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 4:03 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Don't let the masses scare you honey. I am a proud mom who BF FOUR kids. There are ways of being discreet without making a scene. And there is always going to be SOMEONE you'll offend or whatever. Just know you are doing the best thing for your baby and you have rights. If they tell you to go nurse in the bathroom suggest they take their own lunch in there and eat. I can't imagine anyone giving you a direct confrontation though. You might get an occasional look, but don't let it get to you. Motherhood Maternity has the best BF friendly tops. Tell people to get over themselves.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 4:05 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I agree with what OP said about it's ok to sexualize a woman's breast but heaven forbid if it's used for it's God given purpose. I dont have a problem with anyone breastfeeding anywhere. It's your right to feed your child where you like and with what food you deem proper. Dont let anyone on CM or in the real world tell you otherwise.
    Rngrad_2006

Answer by Rngrad_2006 at 4:18 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• LOL I love the last line of your question! It's very true. There is so much more in this world to be worried about than whether your child might be "traumatized" by seeing a mom feeding her baby the way nature intended.

We live in a very conservative area and I breastfed both of my kids and I didn't have these kinds of issues in real life. CM has a lot of drama on this issue, but pay it no attention. Do what YOU believe is best for you and your baby and ignore the drama.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 4:25 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• God made breasts to produce milk for a reason! There should be no shame in it at all.
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 4:28 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• The only place a person told me I was giving my kid poison when I bottled fed was here on cafemom. the only time I was given grief for breastfeeding is right here on cafemom. Seriously, I don't think it is the big deal it is made outside of those who feel the need to post pictures all over their facebook.
    Anonymous

• I BF all of my 7 children from at least 3 months to over 12 months (the older I got the easier it became cuz I wasn't worrying about what others thought or that I didn't have enough milk LOL) I did cover with something light in the summer if I was out in public, it was more for me then anyone else I think and I loved the time I got to spend with me babies so I was selfish in that way..... do it IF you want to and ignore those who are negative this is what you feel is best for your life and your babies life.

lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 5:45 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I was a FF mommy, but I have no problem with a woman who chooses to BF. Honestly, I really don't care as long as the baby is getting fed something. I think the only time I might get upset about it is if a lady were to flop herself out and take her sweet time to get the baby to her breast.
    And I don't thin anyone in the real world will say anything to you. I had one person tell me that they thought it was healthier to BF, but other then that, I didn't have any trouble. And once I told her that I couldn't and explained why, she got off my back about it. You may get some weird looks, but that is about all the trouble you are going to have.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 6:02 PM on Apr. 19, 2009