What can I do?

I went to the gas station and went to buy a bottle of orange juice. It was $1.99 before tax. After tax I was charged $2.79. Thats .80 cents of tax. It isnt right. Tax isnt 40 cents in the dollar. So what can I do about it?

BIMOM21

Asked by BIMOM21 at 4:04 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Money & Work

• Take you receipt in and tell them you think you were over charged. call and speak with a manager.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 4:06 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I didnt pay for it i put it back. Now i cant get my oj
    BIMOM21

Answer by BIMOM21 at 4:07 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• call and talk to a manager. most places the machine does the tax, not the person so it was probably just a machine error. or it may be that tax is that much, some cities/states have started a "convience tax" for the gas station and convience stores, and some have also started a tax on sodas etc...so you might just be told that there are now extra taxes.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:08 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• i would still call and ask the manager. just tell him/her you were going to buy a drink and got told it was going to be this much, but the price tag said it was this much, and you are confused as to how taxes are that high. customer satisfaction is very important in todays economy so most managers will not have a problem explaining it to you, or fixing it if there is a problem ( i managed a retail store for 3 years until dec so i know that to be true) just approach it as i was confused, not as the store screwed up or the employee did, that will make them defensive
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:11 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• deal with it, why stress over a little change. dont sweat the small stuff, lifes too short.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 4:49 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• because i want oj and cant get it. i dont wanna deal with it its ridiculous and BS.
    BIMOM21

Answer by BIMOM21 at 5:19 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I would ask the manager about it. it might be an error in their system. I worked at a store once and our computer went crazy and was adding 200% tax to every product. just ask what is the tax percent on an item in your state?
    ladyluck09

Answer by ladyluck09 at 5:27 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I wouldn't worry about it. But next time,watch your prices at the register.Tons of times I notice mistakes.Once I went to a party store to get things for the kids' bday and noticed the cashier rang up one thing 4 times!
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 6:30 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• For 2.79 you can get almost a half gallon at the grocery store. Shop there instead ahead of time.
    Anonymous

• I cant I dont have a car to get to the grocery store.
    BIMOM21

Answer by BIMOM21 at 7:49 PM on Apr. 19, 2009