Bottle propping

What's your opinion?

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 4:12 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• i did with my daughter when she was about 4 months old, it just got to the point she would take so long to eat and i didn't have the time to sit there for 30 mins for her to finish a bottle. before that i wouldn't do it, b/c she wouldn't have moved the bottle aside when she was full. also we went on alot of road trips so it was difficult to feed in the car, or to stop every few hours for 30 mins to an hour, so i would either sit in the back and hold the bottle or sit in the back and prop it for a few mins then hold, then prop. i feel as long as you keep an eye on your child, and don't do it in the crib than its no biggie
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:14 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I did it once my daughter was 3 months old. She was never one to throw up so if we were in the car I would prop her bottle or if I was making dinner and she got hungry. I didn't do it often and now she holds her own so I don't have to prop it.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 4:15 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• depends on the reason, and how old they are, for me.
    i only did it with my son if i HAD to, and that wasnt until he was about four months or so.
    i dont think its right if its a new born or even it its a four month old that is getting their bottle propped EVERY time. i would consider it neglect, in a way, but that's just from my experience with bad mothers, before i was a mom. i wouldnt do it unless i had to because i didnt want to end up like them.
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 4:21 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I did it with both of my kids. I think its okay to do occasionally, not every time of course, because feeding time is also a bonding time. It also helps to teach them to hold it themselves.
    danalee11

Answer by danalee11 at 4:24 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• dangerous. Try it yourself and see why. My x husband used to always say "when in doubt, try it yourself." It's the smartest thing he ever said to me...other than "put water in a glass that has had milk in it if you don't wash it immediately so it won't be hard to wash"

Answer by admckenzie at 4:31 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I did it for my kids occasionally.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 4:33 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• nope, never
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 4:35 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Not something that was ever or will ever be done with my kids, nor with anyone else's kids in my care.
    Anonymous

• We've done it before. When you're driving its hard not to. Thats the only time we do it anymore. but for awhile thats the only way we could get our little one to sleep. Alot of moms dont like it and say your a bad parent for propping a bottle, but sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. The doctors say it'll rot their teeth or run down their cheek to their ears and cause ear infections. I was always scared of him choking and i wouldnt hear it. That always made me really nervous. Now that I'm home all the time though I have more time to sit with him, and rock him to sleep and actually bond with him. so we dont prop at all anymore unless we're taking a long drive somewhere.
    LoniRae89

Answer by LoniRae89 at 4:45 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• My dd is 9 months and I've never propped her bottle. I don't mind holding it for her. I enjoy the cuddling time.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:22 PM on Apr. 19, 2009