Hi guys I have a question

Hey guys... I need a second opinion. On Friday my daughter found a little spot of blood in her underwear about the size of a quarter of a penny. She also had some cramps. Then on Saturday she didn't have anything and today, Sunday, she has another little spot that's a bit smaller. She also has a loose stomach from something that she ate bad, which added to the cramps.

Could this be her first period, or would there have to be more blood?

A few notes: She's 12, almost 13 this year and an A32 bra size.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:24 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I had my first period at 11. It very well might be a period. just ask her to keep you updated on what her body is doing and if he seems funny to you or she's in too much pain, I would see a doctor. Communication is key.
    LoniRae89

Answer by LoniRae89 at 4:26 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• What do you mean by "funny"?
    Anonymous

• I, too, was 11. However, I do recall from a brief class that they gave us in, like, 5th grade, that they said a first period could be anything from a full on period like you or I would have, to just a few spots of blood here and there, like you describe. They also told us it could be bright red blood, or brown, or anywhere in between, and any combo of the two. So it sounds to me like it could be. With the other stuff going on, I'd keep an eye on her anyway. I'm assuming you've already talked to her about it, so I'd say just tell her it looks like this is it, and just keep her prepared from this point on in case she starts at school or something next month. Or it could even get heavier tomorrow.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 4:29 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I'm not sure that her bra size has anything to do with starting her period. It does sound like she's getting it. I got mine when I was 12. My first daughter at 11, my second at 12. If she doesn't get it more often within six months or so after turning 13, I'd ask a doctor. We can be sporadic when we first get it I know. Hope she feels better!
    Anonymous

• like if the flow changes and seems not right to you, or if her cramps get too bad. Your her mom, you know whats normal for a period.
    LoniRae89

Answer by LoniRae89 at 4:30 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I would give her a panty liner just in case its more at school or something one day. It sounds like her period and im sure she knows what it is, and that you've talked to her about it already. Just tell her to keep letting you know what it's like, and if it happens more and more, then obviously you know. If its on and off or whatever, i would take her to the doc and get her birth control JUST TO REGULATE HER PERIODS and just not tell her that its "the pill". when you send her to school make sure she has a pad in her bookbag just in case she needs it or get her a purse (if she doesnt already carry one) and have her keep it there, OR they make little bags to carry them in if shes embarrassed. Oh and don't forget to show her/tell her how to use the panty liners and pads. No body told me, and i had to figure it out on my own. And if you guys make the decision for tampons eventually, tell/show her those too.
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 5:04 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I think she is trying to start her period. This has happened to my granddaughter at the age of 11.Then the next month she had a normal period. Just try to explain this to her and everything will be fine.judyplove
    judyplove

Answer by judyplove at 5:04 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• may the fun begin....yes i think she is getting her period...i have 2 older daughters and they both got it at age 12...as did i.deep breathes youwill be fine...and so wont she...
    raineydays377

Answer by raineydays377 at 5:10 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• It sounds like she is starting her period. I'm assuming she knows what they are and everything. Just have her wear a panty liner incase she starts at school or something. You could also send a pad with her to school. Everything will be fine. Hope she feels better soon.
    mommy112005

Answer by mommy112005 at 6:34 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Of course it is her first period! You two must go out and celebrate!!

Answer by rkoloms at 7:46 PM on Apr. 20, 2009