Im 38, do I still need a pap smear every year?

danalee11

Asked by danalee11 at 4:24 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Health

• Yes you do. As women age, your risk for cancer is greater. You need to have a pap smear and breast exams.
    Anonymous

• yes, yes ,yes, unless you dont care about your health, then no!
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 4:36 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Yes please have a pap smear every year. That's how they found out at the age of 25 that I had crevical cancer. I was lucky,they caught it in the early stage and I beat the odds. Why not have it done,it doestn't hurt anything but you're a little humliated .ha.judyplove
    judyplove

Answer by judyplove at 5:01 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• YES!

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 5:02 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Yes!! Even menopausal women need one. The only women I have seen not get one were women who have had total hysterectomies including the cervix removed.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 5:58 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Of course you do every year.
    monica-alvarez

Answer by monica-alvarez at 6:17 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• YES
    kylesboo

Answer by kylesboo at 7:10 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• You need a papsmear every 3 years at least as long as your results are normal. After the age of 40 you get them once a year even if you have had a hysterectomy because it is still possible to get vaginal wall cancer. You should be getting manual breast exams with each internal exam and mammograms yearly after 40, you should also be getting rectal exams with each internal exam and a screening for rectal bleeding by hemocult testing yearly after 40. Very few gyn's do all these at each visit, so you may need to get half of your physical at your internists office and only the pap and breast exams at the gyn office.
    Anonymous

• Yes .
    Ann7227

Answer by Ann7227 at 8:10 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• If you have had 3 normal paps in a row, then you can go every 3 years. I have but I sitll go evey year. I would rather take the few minutes to make sure I am ok. My General Practioner does my exam every year. You should also have a baseline mammogram at 35 yrs old and then yearly after 40. It is especially important if you have a family history of breast cancer (mom, grandma, sister, aunt). But, yes, you still need paps.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:56 PM on Apr. 19, 2009