how old she your child be before their old enough to go out by theirselves

my brother and his x cant agree on letting there daughter go out by herself , my brother afraid of her doing stuff she shouldnt be doing plus someone doing something to her ( she is really friskey) but i just wonder what people thought, she has custody he get every other weekend but the live 5 minutes for each other so he get her all time that how he knows that she going places by herself she 11

teddy33

Asked by teddy33 at 4:40 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• by herself where? i mean if its just to the park or something with some friends (whether its girls or boys AND girls) i think thats okay. but if its like to the movies or something like that, i would say not till at least thirteen. if they havent had the sex talk, or even if they have, now would be the time to have it again. she's going to be doing things she shouldnt, its part of growing up. just make sure she's educated, and has strict times on when to be home, where she's going, who she's with, etc. make sure its a public place so that the parents can drive by and check on her to make sure she's being truthful and not lying or doing things she REALLY shouldnt be. then if she is, she looses trust and cant go out anymore, or not for as long or whatever. =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 4:52 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• depends on where u live- where im from we dont let our kids out by themselves (well my boys are all under the age of 6 so their too young anyways) but my fiances daughter is 14 and we dont let her go anywhere but the corner store by herself (also have u ever checked out http://www.familywatchdog.us/ go to that website and put in ur address and they show exactly how many registered sex offenders and crimes against children offenders there are in ur neighborhood- its scary- i found out that there are about 54 in a 2 mile radius of my home- and even scarier? theres one that lives right accross the street from the school my boys used to attend- creepy thats something u wanna keep in mind when sending kids out- also when they are ready to go out on their own u wanna teach them stranger safety ok im rambling now- but yeah depending on where u live- if ur in a good neighborhood where neighbors watch out for eachother then i say ok
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 5:58 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Well, my thought is if they can babysit at age 12 by themselves then perhaps thats a good age to start loosening up the strings. However...I wouldnt let my 12 yr old go out for long periods of time by herself. Maybe an hour and as she proves trustworthy that time could be increased.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:00 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Well, I thought 13 was old enough until a 13yo girl was found murdered less then a mile from my house. Stabbed to death. So, I no longer let my kids of any age go out alone. This girl got in an arguement with her friends and went home early from a group event. She cut across a field and a homeless guy was there. He attempted to rape her, couldn't, so she mocked him and he killed her. Kids need protection.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 7:26 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Depends on how mature she is, where she lives and how trustworthy she is. I don't think an 11 yr old should be out and about by herself, with a group of friends I would think she would be ok. Not sure what age I would let them out by themselves. Safety in numbers.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:50 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• The way the world is now days.I Still go with my sister daughter. she is 14 yearsold.But i have 2 kids they are 5 and 4 years old.It is going to be a long time before my kids can go ouy by there self.Imean like walking around town and stuff like that.Plus i would have to meet there friends. I guess i am like my mom.But my mom let me go out by myself when i was 8 but that was in 1972.ALOT has change.
    Laurakenny10

Answer by Laurakenny10 at 11:37 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• her friends mom dropped them off at the mall left them i quess to watch a movie but that mom had came back and she was there at least 5 hrs when my brother passed by and saw her outside her with 2 boys and another girl (she was supposed to have her for the weekend when he called to come by he was told she was out with friends) what a surprise he got when he drove by and found her out back
    teddy33

Answer by teddy33 at 4:41 PM on Apr. 20, 2009