Amniotic fluid leaking?

I just went to the bathroom and had a normal amount of fluid leaking. But instead of an ammonia smell this time it was kinda sweet. Almost like that of caramel corn. Could this be amniotic fluid? I know some people say it smells kinda sweet so I was just wondering what other people think?
Oh I dont want to go into L&D if I dont have to. Personal advice is what I am really looking for. Thanks!

MT_MOM

Asked by MT_MOM at 5:03 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• How much was it? If it was alot then go! If it was just a little bit of discharge then rethink. But no matter what it is always good to see your doctor.
    annamcg18

Answer by annamcg18 at 5:06 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• you can always call your doctor or L&D to ask them. I'm sure your not the first person to ask and they'll tell whether you should come in or not.
    litlsuzzy

Answer by litlsuzzy at 5:22 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I've been having that kind of discharge all through my pregnancy.. it's quiet a lot too.. My boyfriend was laying on my stomach listening to my hear, or trying to and said something smelled like caramel corn! lol
    I laughed so hard..
    Anonymous

• if its happening when your NOT peeing and its just leaking while your standing there then i would go to L&D. if it was just one time while you were peeing, i wouldnt say its a big deal. just make sure its not happening while doing other things,and even then it could be just watery discharge. i went to the doc with my friend, whos almost 38 weeks, on friday morning because of this, and it was happening throughout the day for about four days. her doc said it was just discharge. =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 5:44 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• A sweet even amonia smell to me sounds like it just might be urine. The smell of urine can change from being pungent to sweet from time to time. Amniotic fluid usually smells like "earth." Possibly even fresh dirt perhaps? Mine didn't smell like anything at all.

If you feel a trickle when you're not peeing, it could be a leak. Even if it is just a tiny amount, it needs medical attention. A leak opens up your baby to infection. I did leak some urine when I was in my 9th month because of the insane pressure of the baby. However, the day I went into labor, I was leaking fluid and had no idea. By the time I went to the hospital because the leaking was worrying me, I had actually been in active labor for about 10 hours lol. If you can't determine 100% for yourself that the fluid is urine you have to go into L&D. You don't want to develop an infection.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 6:10 PM on Apr. 19, 2009