How Can He Be 8 Months Old And Colicy??

My DS is 8 months old... He eats 4 meals a day 2 of cereal or yogurt and 2 of a dinner of whatever I fix him.. He's had no new food recently. He eats at least 36oz of formula a day.. he drinks juice or water out of a sippy cup.. he has a binky.. he has 3 teeth and no new ones coming in that I can feel or see... I have given him.. teething tablets,orel gel,tylenol,and gas medican.. He is still fussy and then only thing I can think it could be is gas.. But I've done all I can to help it.. what else can I do.. He has a clean diaper on and a full belly.. I dont know what else to do right now.. any help would be great.

TristansMommy16

Asked by TristansMommy16 at 5:06 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It could be teething still, a growth sprout, maybe lack of sleep, constipation, etc.
    Teething... other than what you are doing, there isn't much else available.
    a growth sprout... try giving him a nice warm bath and massaging his legs and arms.
    Constipation.. if he is pooping hard poop. (try prune juice to help this out)
    I could be an upset tummy. Maybe an ear infection. Etc. Keep an eye, and try the things above, if all falls, it doesn't hurt to go to the doctor and have a check up just in case.

I doubt it's croup.. you'll know if it is, if he has a barking sounding cough.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:45 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• They just seem to be fussy around that age. Most likely it is his teeth. When you got your wisdom teeth did tylenol really help or did it just lessen the pain. I dont think tylenol really works that great to relieve all fussiness.
    annamcg18

Answer by annamcg18 at 5:09 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Hmm, this is a tricky one. Maybe is he getting TOO much to eat? Since he's such a great eater, maybe you could cut down on formula? Sorry, my son wasn't an eater, so this is all I can think of. He may be coming down with a virus or something
    Harrisonsmommie

Answer by Harrisonsmommie at 5:12 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• What foods are you combining together?

Dairy and cereal is hard on the digestion - I would probably change his diet to something much more simple. Plenty of monomeals of fruit and you could also feed avocado blended with some lemon or lime juice. Avocado is fatty which is what he needs.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 5:31 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Did it just start or has he always been like this? If it just started then I would think that it was most likely teething. If this has been ongoing for a while then it could be the formula. My son had to go to Alimentum because he was so fussy on regular and even soy milk.
    rriley

Answer by rriley at 5:56 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• i would say either cut down on formula and change to more juice if hes needy with the bottle, or give an extra nap during the day. its possible he wakes up at night without crying and just goes back to sleep eventually. he might just not be sleeping well at night or whatever. add an extra nap and cut down on the formula.
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 6:00 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• It may not be colic or gas at all, it could be just that he doesnt feel good, there is a lot of croop going around right now i dont know where you live but here in Idaho the weather has been going from really warm to pretty breezy and chilly
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 6:10 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• My son got cranky around growth spurts & needed more sleep. How is his sleep schedule?
    Amy82

Answer by Amy82 at 8:18 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• he's been sleeping better the past week then he has in the past two months... He's had a runny nose and a cough for about a week and no fever.. He got shots on thursday I'm not sure what it is.. I just feel horrible that he's so fussy.. I wanna fix it
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 9:46 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Oh, he might be fussy from his shots, I know my son had HORRIBLE reastions to his shots
    Harrisonsmommie

Answer by Harrisonsmommie at 10:08 AM on Apr. 20, 2009