getting toddler to eat with fork or spoon

My son is 16 months old and loves to eat his food with his hands only. I have try giving him his food on a fork but he will sometimes throw the fork on the floor or lay the fork on the table and take the food off. My mil told me he should be eating from a fork or spoon by the time he is 18 months old and she has tried to force him eat off the fork but he just freaks out. I told her he will learn on his own and if he doesn't want to eat of the fork then he doesn't have to but I always to let them decide when they are ready to eat off a fork or spoon. So what did you other moms to do teach your child to eat off a fork or spoon and how old where they.

LoriAnn87

Asked by LoriAnn87 at 5:39 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think you have the perfect attitude - he will learn to use one in his own time.

My son is 16 months and I usually feed him still if its something mushy. Other than that I pass him chunks of food. Sometimes he wants to take the spoon off me and feed himself but if that happens it goes all over the place.

So I would just continue to encourage and go easy. People get so hung up on milestones..and small little things that don't really matter in the grand schemes of things - like you said he will get it eventually when he wants to :)
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 5:45 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Don't give the child a fork yet this is the way I did it I would put alittle food on the highchair tray and then give them a spoon and watch and see what happens. I wouldn't suggest giving their food in a bowl bc they will start to wear it, just give them the spoon and show them how to use it and watch what happens. Make sure you put alittle of food do not give too much or for sure you will have a pretty mess to clean up start off slow and small :)
    GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 5:47 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• My daughter has been using a spoon and fork on and off since she was around 10 months old. She would feed herself her rice cereal and then we moved to regular cereal with a little bit of milk. She does really good with almost any food we give to her. If she can't get it with her fork or spoon she will still use her hands but we always give her the fork and spoon with all meals unless it's total finger food. All you can do is keep giving him the fork and spoon and let him try to use them. Continue to try to help him by putting food on them and sooner or later he will get it.
    hanasmommie

Answer by hanasmommie at 7:05 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• mine just took the spoon out of my hand one day, and did it herself. She needed help putting more food onto it for a while, other than that, she just took control herself. lol, she's now 16 months.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:15 PM on Apr. 19, 2009