to nursing moms

Just curious, how often(if at all) do you pump milk?
I exclusively breastfeed but don't make a big deal about pumping, just sometimes in the morning.
I can get 3 or 4 ounces each time I pump, starting to think I should do it more often!

BambiF

Asked by BambiF at 5:45 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't nurse anymore, but when I did it was real nice to have some milk stored up in case I wanted to either go out for a drink or have baby go over night to grandma's house, etc.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 5:47 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I used to pump quite a bit when my sone was younger around 6 months and younger and I could get 4 or 5 oz a time..was well pleased with myself on that.

Pumped when he was a year old so I could go out for the evening and I had to pump an oz a day because I struggled to get more.

I dont pump at all now...my son is 16 months. I know he can do quite well without my milk when I am not about but I have had no reason to leave milk for him as I dont leave him for very long.

I didnt mind pumping in the beginning because of the amount of milk that I produced. I could do it in the morning and have enough for the evening. I think its something I will definitely do for my next child early on but again will probably give up quickly. I dont mind spending all my time with my family lol.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 5:48 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• The only time I ever pumped is if I needed to leave some milk for my baby because I was going out. If you are regularly getting 3-4 ounces out when you pump, in addition to exclusively breastfeeding, that is a lot! If you pump any more than that you are going too end up with an oversupply of milk and that causes all kinds of problems.
    Is there a specific reason why you think you need to be pumping more?
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:49 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I dont. I pumped a little bit in the first 2 months after he was born and never needed the milk. So I just stopped. It was too much of a hassle for me and i could only get an ounce out in an hour. I probably could get more out now but havent had a reason to.
    rena_goldmoon

Answer by rena_goldmoon at 5:49 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Well my baby never took a bottle but we are working on a sippy cup now. I'm pumping twice a day (morning and late afternoon) to get a nice supply stocked and frozen and for her to practice with. Depending on how full I am I get 3-10 oz with my dbl electric pump.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 5:49 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I only pumped the first few weeks, but I am always with the baby so I don;t need a lot of stored milk. I wish I had pumped once a day just so that I could go out more.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 5:49 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I breastfed all my babies but never pumped. I had no need to because I'm a SAHM.
    Anonymous

• My son was a preemie, so I pumped the first 2 weeks of his life. Once he was nursing well and got out of the Hospital I pretty much stopped pumping. I don't like having the extra milk causing me to feel obligated to pump at a certain time. I will occasionally pump a bottle when we're going on a long car ride, or out to eat so there is a bottle ready for the baby and I don't have to worry about pumping, but that's about it. If you're worried about your supply based on pumping, don't, pumping is not a good way to judge your milk supply. As long as your baby is having plenty of wet and dirty diapers every day he/she is getting plenty to eat.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 5:52 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• "The only time I ever pumped is if I needed to leave some milk for my baby because I was going out. If you are regularly getting 3-4 ounces out when you pump, in addition to exclusively breastfeeding, that is a lot! If you pump any more than that you are going too end up with an oversupply of milk and that causes all kinds of problems.
    Is there a specific reason why you think you need to be pumping more? "

I just figured since I have so much milk I might as well pump as much as I can so I can have a good stash for if I go out etc..
    I never even knew you could have an oversupply or that it would cause problems...
    What could happen?
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 5:54 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I'm not worried about my supply, I know I have enough for her.

"I breastfed all my babies but never pumped. I had no need to because I'm a SAHM. "
    I'm a SAHM too but I do like going out with my fiance once in a while, or bringing a bottle if I go out shopping/for a walk...
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 5:56 PM on Apr. 19, 2009