How do I laminate something?

Do I need a machine or do they make some I can just press n seal? Is contact paper the same thing? Will the colors look weird after I use it? Where do I get it from??

science_spot

Asked by science_spot at 6:00 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• There are sheets you can cut to size that are sticky on the inside and plastic on the outside. Other than that the office supply stores have machines that can do it for you, but be careful of thermo paper, it will ruin the image, or text.
    Lamination should not mess with the colors at all.
    xrussianbabe02

Answer by xrussianbabe02 at 6:05 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• There is a thing that you can do it at home, but you run the risk of getting air bubbles.

I take my things to Kinko's and pay $2 to have it done. (Don't know if you have a Kinko's - its just a copy store)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 6:04 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Oh yeah I forgot that part, you don't want to use any pictures or anything like that. Recently I had a pic I wanted laminated, and the guy suggested making a color copy with their machine and laminating that. Once it was laminated you would never have known it was a copy.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 6:07 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I agree with Carolyn ^ Take it to Kinkos or similar store. Contact paper can work, but isnt as clear as real lamination and its really difficult to get it flat each time and make sure you dont get bubbles, fingerprints, and creases. You can buy a machine.. the one we had in my old office was 129.00 (plus you have to buy the plastic for it). If you will be laminating alot of things, I would buy a machine.. but for only one or two things a year you will save money by going to a store to have it done.
    LuminousMom

Answer by LuminousMom at 6:09 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Contact paper works pretty good. I worked in child care and we did this all the time because it was cheaper than going to a copy place. I have a hint though, place a clean dry towel over the piece you are laminating, run a hot iron over the towel. It will seal the contact paper just like if you took it to a copy place. Do NOT laminate original photos. Make a copy and laminate the copy.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:00 PM on Apr. 19, 2009