Does anyone have any tips on bringing a 6 month old to a trip to tampa, fl for 4 days? (travelling by air)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:01 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Lets see..I have flown with my son when he was 2 months old, 4 months old, 10 months old and 23 months old...and the one big thing that I can say is that you need to have something for them to relieve the pressure in their ears. Whether it be a bottle, sippy cup, pacifier, or breastfeed them. That is the most important thing. Next thing is to make sure you have something to entertain them (however when I flew with my baby and he was around that age he slept most of the time) as long as it isn't a super long flight it really isn't that bad (in my experience) And I have had to fly by myself. (No husband help here-he was deployed!!)
    CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 6:05 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• at time of take off and landing breast feed, it will keep from ears popping.... I havent had my kids yet but my friend moved to hawaii and she said she did that with her 8MO and the baby slept the whole flight
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 6:06 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I just traveled to South Carolina from Colorado by air with my 5 month old...he was really good the whole way mostly slept. My advice would to be carry as little as possible because it makes it harder when you have alot of things to drag around..I carried my son in a sling so it was much easier. And planes tend to be pretty rough on little ears in the air...so be prepared.
    MaMa2_DJ_IJ

Answer by MaMa2_DJ_IJ at 6:07 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I agree that carrying baby in a wrap/sling/Bjorn is a great idea, but we always flew to visit family and borrowed a carseat when we got there. If you're going to need to bring your carseat, and if it attaches to a stroller, I'd bring that and you can check them both at the gate. Also, most airlines will let you bring it on if there's an empty seat by you, so it's worth asking (at the gate, not before security). My pedi recommended giving her dose of Tylenol before the flight, to help with any pain from pressure, but of course nurse or give a bottle during take-off and landing. You can bring breastmilk or formula in your carryon, but be prepared to be searched. And then just try not to stress and hope you get put near the people who ooh and aah over babies, not the ones who look at you like, "damn, why would you bring one of THOSE" (lol)
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:25 PM on Apr. 19, 2009