Some airlines are going to charge obese individuals

for two seats if they are bigger than the wideth of the seat. How are they going to this diplomatically? Some one said they are going to kick people off planes and make them re-book. Plus, does that mean no one will be sitting in the seat nezt to this individual?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:08 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I wonder if they took a good look at the pilots and attendents lately......Some of them are not too skinny.......I think this is insulting because one person's view of obese is not the same as another and people are all different. For example, I might be 200 lbs. but wear it well because I am taller then you, who may be short and 200 lbs. Is everyone getting measured or weighing in when they book a flight? What will they think up next......
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 6:16 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I dunno, but I think its dumb. They should just make larger seats and have a section specifically for larger people.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 6:10 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Oh, and before anyone says that what I said would be discrimination, they have special arrangements for disabled people, why not obese?
    CarolynBarnett

• They do have a section with bigger seats. It's called First Class.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 6:15 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Completely against this. I heard that if you cannot get the arm rest down between you and the other passenger, then they will either try to move you to an area that has two empty seats, or they will take you off the flight and you have to buy a second seat on a different flight.
    I honestly think this is just a way for the airline companies to make more money.
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 6:28 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

When I buy a seat on a plane, I would like to have all the seat for myself. Why should I have to share my seat?

My baby and I flew to visit my Mamo. He was very small, so I took him on my lap. My seat happened to be a middle seat. I had a pair of sisters as seat mates. Both ladies were quite large and spilled into my seat. The armrests couldn't come down. I politely asked if one would trade places because you sort of need an armrest with an infant. NOPE. The flight was full and I was miserable for 3 hours.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 6:34 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Larger seats mean fewer people. Fewer people mean the cost of fuel is more per person. The result more expensive tickets.

Last time I checked airlines were in business to make money.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 6:35 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• We had this question twice in a week already.....Everybody minus maybe one person was against it. We all agreed that if you are taking up an extra seat no matter what size you are, you need to pay for the extra seat being used. Simple as that. They cannot give away free seats. If I needed to use an extra seat to lay my baby down in, I would purchase the seat. Its a business, why the hell would they give away free seats to people? And more and more airlines are doing this. They also reimburse you if you get on the plane and there are seats open.
    Anonymous

• I meant everybody minus one person was for it !!!
    Anonymous

• This isnt new. IMO if you are taking up more than the width of the seat you are in then you should pay for the extra space. Whether that be because your fat or because you have a kid with a car seat or what ever. If you want a bigger seat, go to first class. Please dont tell me I'm discriminating, because I'm not. My dad is obese, and I know some people honestly cant help it because of health reasons. I'm not ignorant enough to believe that all fat people are fat because they are lazy, nasty, or what ever.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 6:40 PM on Apr. 19, 2009