Does anybody else have hell to pay when you take your kids on a shopping trip like the supermarket for instance.My 4 year old son will walk into the store and start touching everything,he will have a tantrum and people look at me like I'm a bad parent but I'm just the opposite.He's too big to sit in the shopping cart and I have nobody to watch him so what can I do to ensure a happy shopping trip with my son?

wandaluv

Asked by wandaluv at 6:35 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i am in no way trying to be rude but my kids new not to act up in public. if they did they got their ass beat or i would grab them by the ear and that is how we would walk around the store. i am sorry you have so many problems but you need to start disciplining asap
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 6:38 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Let him know what you expect and if he wants to go with you then he has to be good. Tell him he can help you get the food that you need but can not touch anything else. If he is bad then put him in the car anyways so he's not touching everything and causing a big stir. He can sit in the seat still and that may help him see your not putting up with it. Go shopping at night when he is in bed and you husband is home or your SO. If you can't do that then set up the rules ahead of time and let him know that if he acts up when he gets home he will be in time out or will have a toy or a tv show taken away from him.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 6:38 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Well he needs discipline. Is he being punished for his behavior or are you just dealing with it? If he has no reason not to touch stuff, he always will. Are you sure your 4 year old is too big? Thats a pretty young age IMO to be too big. You could also shop at a grocery store that has the mini cars attached to the carts.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 6:39 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Babies will be babies. It is the parents responsibility to make sure the trip is pleasant for the child. Make sure they have taken their nap and are fed. Make them part of some of the shopping decisions and don't worry about what you think people are thinking. So long as they are not so unruly that they are attacking anyone or destroying property I say you are doing just fine.

Vivian63

Answer by Vivian63 at 6:49 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I let my twins sit in the cart part of the shopping cart. And my daughter sits in the part where kids can sit in the front if there aren't any "kid friendly" carts available. Usually I have been blessed that they know better to act up, because the last time they did we left the store along with their cookies they wanted to buy and I told them I wouldn't take them again if they didn't listen. No kid is perfect, and sometimes despite the glares from other parents we just have to discipline the way we see fit. I work where alot of parents and kids come to shop, and I usually try to help the parent but in some cases they look at me like I'm bothering them or it's "not my place to say something". My opinion on that is, if you can't get your child to settle down then you either need to leave the store, or allow me to do my job which is keep them safe while they are visiting in my place of business. It's that simple.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 6:51 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Since this is what he used to doing, you may have to have a "big boy" talk with him. Tell him that you have been treating him like a baby, but he is a big boy now. Try giving him a "job" to focus his attention. He is aimlessly touching things (what he shouldn't do), because he doesn't know what he SHOULD be doing. He can hold your list & pen & you show him what to cross off as you buy it. Tell him the things to watch for. Ask him if he likes this cereal or that cereal, tell him often how proud you are of him for being a big boy. Tell him if he is especially good, that when you get home you are going to play a game with him, or watch his show, etc. Boys are easily bored. Make him see the reward in being good. Good luck!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 7:02 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• What do you do at home when he acts up? Do it in the store, too. If you feel he needs to be confined, but him in the back of one cart, pull it and push another one.

He is not a baby and should not be acting like one in public or at home.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:02 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• PS-You don't say if you have a husband or significant other, so if you do, then use that to your advantage. After the "big boy" talk, if he misbehaves then tell him that he can't go to the store with you anymore until he starts acting like a big boy. Leave him at home with your DH or SO, a time or two to see if he changes.

PSS-Our 2 y/o even likes me to hand him our purchases to "toss" in the basket as we go. (Not the egg or bread, LOL!) I say can you put that in the basket for me? He likes to help! :)
    doodlebopfan

• My 5 yr old still sits in the cart
    BIMOM21

Answer by BIMOM21 at 7:12 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• My 3 1/2 year old rarely gives us problems, occassionally he will start crying but we never know why. He never asks or want toys or things off the store shelves. As long as he has a cup and maybe a small toy to hold, he is ok. I guess it depends on what your child understands. If he understands consequences, then use them. Some moms bribe their kids that if they are good in the store, they get to pick out a piece of candy at the checkout. I used to do that with my older two and it usually worked pretty well. Good luck.
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 7:19 PM on Apr. 19, 2009