Digging dog!!!

I live in the country and we have a dog door and an underground fence. It makes it so much easier as far as taking care of a baby and dogs, they do there business on there own. Anyways, the past month or so my yorkie goes and digs huge holes in the yard, and comes inside with mud all over him, and hes a big yorkie, about 17 lbs. I end up sweeping and mopping the house over and over again. Any suggestions on what to do to stop this?? Theres a huge tree that doesnt grow grass under it, its just dirt and thats where he digs. I've tried putting pepper on the ground, and it doesn't bother him. Any help would be great, thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:55 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Pets

• Cut his nails on his front paws as short as you possibly can, the soreness will keep him from digging. Don't make him bleed or anything, but just cut them short as possible.
    Anonymous

• Here is a link I found for you, I hope there are some helpful suggestions, Good Luck!

http://www.dog-obedience-training-review.com/how-to-stop-dogs-from-digging.html
    Mrs.Hopeful

Answer by Mrs.Hopeful at 11:49 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• What do you do with him other than let him out to make due with his own devises and make bad choices? He's bored! Either that or you have moles (or something similar) in your yard and he's after them. Either way, he's being a dog - an unsupervised dog - and needs some direction. Try wearing him out before he goes out, or better... go out with him so you can redirect his attention onto something you'd want him to play with. :-) Also, you can fill in the holes he digs with his poop. Dogs don't like to live or be in their own filth. Don't think this will stop him from digging, he needs redirection. It will keep him from making the existing holes bigger tho! :-)

And whoever said cut his nails as short as you can get them so the pain will stop him... that's just CRUEL! Don't do that... please don't do that.
    DiamondTiger

Answer by DiamondTiger at 7:56 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• that is pretty cruel, you don't want to hurt your dog! he probably is looking for some form of vermin, my old dogs used to dig trenches in our yard looking for moles, voles and whatever else you can think of, sometimes catching some and bringing them back as presents for us... yay :( ....as for a solution i agree with the last post about giving your dog a new direction
    jacc2007

Answer by jacc2007 at 12:35 AM on Apr. 23, 2009