What can I do about my daughter's constipation?

My 8 year old daughter was constipated so I took her to the doctor. He ordered x-rays and it showed that she had impacted stool. He prescribed Miralax and that seemed to work but then she started to lose control of her bowel movements and pooped herself a few times. I stopped giving her the Miralax and took her back to the doctor. A new x-ray showed less impacted stool. I wanted more answers but the doctor was reluctant, condescending and basically insinuated that I was overreacting. I left his office feeling like a defeated idiot. She STILL gets constipated AND loses control of her bowels at times. She also has a really bad odor coming from her butt. She said some kids at school told her she smelled. I don't know what to do! The doctor says she's fine but my maternal instinct says otherwise. Am I overreacting? How can I help my daughter feel better?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:02 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• can u see a diff doc in the office?
    if not id change docs
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:04 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Change docs. You might want to inform the teacher of the problem with the kids at school. Maybe she can help with the little nasty bullies there. Clearly there is some kind of infection in her bowels. You definitely need to change docs, I"d go with another office completely, JMO. :)

CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 7:12 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Cascara Sagrada- this is a natural Herb and very safe. I have been taking this for years and constipation runs in my family. To my knowledge- it is safe for all ages but you may want to investigate that further as for the ages. It is a natural herb that simply loosens stool. I have always battled this and my 7 year old does from time to time. I have acuallyy given him Mylant cherry tablets for children and it helps his gas and loosens up his stool for better and easier bowel movements. Hope this helps I know it is a very difficult thing
    ladyjp

Answer by ladyjp at 8:00 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• always always always go with maternal instinct over doctor!!! My eldest was born at over 10 pounds and 3 months later with the doctor telling me everything was fine he was dehydrated and less than 6 pounds. He ended up needing surgery. Now my 5 year had an impacted bowel we did the miralax and for now that is helping him. Except that it hurts him to go. My ped said there is a surgery that can fix the bowel so it isn't so painfull.
    originalzademom

Answer by originalzademom at 11:35 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• What's her diet like? That's the first thing I'd work on. Does she eat plenty of produce and other healthy foods? Too much dairy and meat can back kids up something awful too. If she eats a lot of meat try subbing in some veggie meals, hummus sandwiches instead of meat or cheese for example. Make sure she has plenty of healthy fats and water or juice too. Perhaps a referral to a dietitian could help.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 1:42 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Is she drinking 6-8 glasses of water a day? Is she eating 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables (not bananas, though) every day? is she eating 7 servings of whole grains everyday? Cut way back on (or eliminate) dairy and meat. Stick with produce, grains, beans, etc. Do not let her eat the "whites", like white rice, white pasta, white bread. Feel free to contact me directly for some great family friendly recipes.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:41 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Here's a thought---go to a different doctor. Impaction can be serious..........and there can be many different causes. Your local children' hospital can recommend a pediatric gastroenterologist if need be....in the meantime, have her drink lots of water, eat fresh fruit and veggies....prunes always worked for me....fiber is good too....good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on May. 11, 2009

• my daughter had this problem when she was little...i went to sooo many docs. they all said the same thing. she was put on miralax too. that stuff is awful....they cant control their bowel movements. I finally had it with doctors 3 yrs ago when she was 6. I stopped all the crap they gave her. after school was out, i put her on a system....and for the past 3 yrs, it has totally worked. if you want more details let me know!
    I give her fiber tablets everyday, she has a high fiber meals....lots of cranberry juice. and i make sure she 'goes' everday or almost everyday bc she has a dent in her intestines from being backed up.....hopefully she'll grow out of it and her body will heal the rest with help.
    SpitfireShelly

Answer by SpitfireShelly at 3:42 PM on May. 12, 2009

• oh and for the record, my kids eat very healthy, had no infections and hardly ever eat fast food. This happend to my daughter when she was 2 bc her dad fed her fast food all day everyday for 3 days! idiot. Kids need a constant source of fiber to maintain a healthy track.
    SpitfireShelly

Answer by SpitfireShelly at 3:46 PM on May. 12, 2009