My three year old LICKS everything!

Why does he do this? He never did it before. It just started. We don't have any pets. He hasn't been around any animals or watched any on TV. I put him in the corner for going into the fridge, and I caught him licking the wall. Then he went into a time out for "shooting" me, and he picked up a toy block and was licking it, when I told him to put the toy down, he licked EVERY inch of his body he could reach. I asked him why and he just said because. He doesn't have a reason. I don't want him licking the garbage can or something when I'm not looking. What do I do and why is he doing this!?!?

mommykayti

Asked by mommykayti at 7:09 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Uhhhh, ok Anon 7:19 ,......anyway, my 3 1/2 year old licks the tv and glass on the french doors. I just try to keep things clean. Little kids put alot of things in their mouths too. Just keep working with him and he will realize that it isn't a big boy thing to do.
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 7:25 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• You can either make him brush his teeth and rinse his mouth every time you see him doing it or put hot sauce in his mouth. It's actually dangerous when a kid won't stop putting things in their mouth at that age. My son did this for two years and his lead levels were pretty high. I combination of the above worked for me.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 7:15 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• He LOVES brushing his teeth, and I definitely don't want to make that a bad experience. And he also likes hot sauce, hot wings, anything spicy. Anything else??
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 7:17 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I have not had this problem...yet.

You could talk to his ped if you are worried. Just watch what he is licking. There could be lead paint in many things. If he keeps licking suff you could take him to get a lead level done it is a really fast and easy test.

Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 7:17 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• My youngest did it for a while. With mine, it seemed to get worse the more I got upset about it, or the more I told him to stop. I finally found that ignoring him while telling him it was gross worked. Like, I would ignore that he was doing it, but when he would come and want a kiss, I'd say ok, but only on the cheek. I don't know what you licked and I don't want it on me. Or if I saw him doing it, I'd say eeww, that's gross and then just ignore him. He finally caught on that it was gross and that no one wanted to see him do it or to touch him after he did it, and stopped.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:18 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• wash his mouth in soap id rather break him of doing it before he ends up sick or dead by choking on something
    Anonymous

• Thanks ladies!!! =]
    and anon... i didnt say he EATS things. he sticks out his tounge and LICKS. he doesnt put anything INTO his mouth. He knows better, because he HAS choked, and it was while he was with his grandpa. I wasn't there and that scared the CRAP out of him. He knows not to do things like that. I was just looking for ways to make him stop, and making sure it was normal.
    Thanks again ladies =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 7:34 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• So what? Children explore their world with ALL their senses. That means taste, too.

And quit worrying about germs. Your baby will build his immune system simply by being exposed to the real world -- yeah, including licking stuff.

Just don't let him imitate the family dog, and lick the catbox.
    Morniel

Answer by Morniel at 7:36 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• If his lead levels become a concern for his health, you'll find a way to make him stop. The hot sauce I used comes in a pack of four and I got it for my spicy lovin hubby and he turns bright red in the face when he eats it. I just dipped the tip of my finger in the bottle and put it in his mouth and he's never put anything besides food in his mouth again after a couple of times of that. Might sound cruel but i'd rather him feel burning in his mouth then get sick from high lead levels.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 7:41 PM on Apr. 19, 2009