Pregnancy Diabetes?

My sister finally decided to call me today to tell me that her sugar level was 215 when she went to the doctor and they diagnosed her with diabetes. Well she is pregnant so maybe she could just have because she's pregnant right now? Our mother has diabetes and my father's sister has diabetes as well. Could it be hereditary. The normal level for your sugar suppose to be at 60 is what my sister said. She really wants me to get check but of course Im scared. What has been your experience with this disease as well as the hereditary aspect of it?

diamondmamma

Asked by diamondmamma at 7:37 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Health

• Oh yeah, and I also wanted to say that there are three different types of diabetes. Your sisters is gestational diabetes. There is also Type 1 and Type 2. Type 1 is treated with insulin shots and anyone under the age of 18 who is diagonsed is automatically Type 1. Type one can also happen to someone who has Type 2 long enough to where their body becomes resistant to the pills. Type 2 is treated with pills. Diet and exercise are also used to help regulate blood sugars for both types.
    And I also wanted to add that doctors are beginning to think that some abdominal injuries can lead to diabetes. My husband only has a great aunt by marriage that is diabetic in his family and somehow he got it. We think it had alot to do with how much his brothers beat him up when he was younger.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 9:36 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• She could have it due to the pregnancy and once she has the baby it will go away. Yes it usually runs in the family but it can really happen to anyone at any time. Its an easy test, you drink some nasty drink and wait then they take blood. No big deal. If your showing signs of it then get tested or bring it up to your doctor. No reason to be scared, it is treatable with either tablets or shots. If its caught early enough you can get meds to help it not get full blown. I was told I was pre-diabetic and I took pills to get my glucose levels to change and to help with the sugar issues and now I am fine. Diet and exercise will also help the both of you to keep it stable if you end up having it as well.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 7:41 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• yes, it could be because she is pregnant, but it is hereditary also..family history plays a huge role. Normal glucose(sugar) levels are between 70 and 110 by the way..the numbers might change a bit but not much. Prevention is best but if you are diabetic the sooner you know, the better. This is not just a problem with sugar as you may know, it can have dangerous effects on every body system and organ in your body.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:47 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• It could be do to pregnancy but it sounds like a family history of it too. It would hurt to be checked out for it. Diabetes can affect a lot more than your blood sugar. Organs can be damaged or shut down, you can go blind, you can lose limbs. Please, don't mess around with this. It is easily prevented and controlled through diet and exercise.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:31 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• A family history is a BIG indicator of a persons liklihood of getting diabetes. Both my mom and my hubby have it. Your sis's could have just showed up now because she is pregnant. And it may only last while she is pregnant. However, it could affect her for the rest of her life. No one will know till the baby is born. I know alot about this disease (I researched this for both my hubby and mom) so, if you want, you can pm me and I will be happy to answer your questions or find the answer for you.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 9:25 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I had gestational (pregnancy) diabetes with 2 of my 3 pregnancies. My father is diabetic. I was not diabetic before, but I am at an increased risk for becoming diabetic now since I had GD and my father is diabetic.

I know how scary it is.... when I was diagnosed with my last pregnancy, they wondered if I had been diabetic all along between pregnancies because my worthless OB didn't test me after my pregnancy. I was very scared after I had my last baby and had to be tested to see if I was still diabetic. But you really should at least discuss it with your doctor and see if your doctor recommends that you get tested. If you have no symptoms and family history is your only risk factor, he/she might not recommend it.

Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 12:12 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I had this while I was pregnant and it went away as soon as I delivered..... They check me for it every year now. They said the likely hood of me getting it when older is good, so I need to take care of myself now. My Grandmother does have it, but noone else in the family.
    traceym1226

Answer by traceym1226 at 8:16 AM on Apr. 20, 2009