Is it teething or something else?

My son is currently 3 1/2 months. He has these outbursts (every once in a while, about 3 times a day) where he yells. After he yells, he's putting his fist in his mouth and trying to chew on it. The whole thing goes on for about 5mins then he tires himself and gets really sleepy. About 20mins ago he did it again but this time used my shoulder to try to bite and chew at. Is it teething? Has anyone experienced this with their child? What could it be?

norma_lee

Asked by norma_lee at 7:51 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He is probably teething. Our daughter started about that age and just got her first 2 teeth here in April and she is 7 months now. Try frozen teething rings or a wash cloth for him to chew on.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 7:55 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• It could be teething, or it could just be a bit of colic. Have you tried Gripe Water? It is a miracle worker! Good for colic, teething, upset tummies. My son is 3 months 3 weeks and he isn't teething yet that i know of, but he does chew on EVERYTHING and drools like crazy. So I am sure it will be teething time soon enough...but when he was 2 months I gave him gripe water and it would always soothe him.

Good luck
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 7:55 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Is he getting enough sleep? They still need a lot of sleep at this age and if I recall, this is around the age where they really start needing to be put down in a quite place for a nap several times a day. I don't think I was on a schedule at this age yet, but sleeping in the livingroom in her bouncer or swing wasn't cutting it anymore. It could be teething but it is a little early for that. My daughter used to have melt downs when she was overly tired so my guess would be sleep first then teething.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 8:45 PM on Apr. 19, 2009