Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Idaho VBAC Anyone???

I am a mom of one and am looking to start on number 2 within the year. My story is similar to others, I was induced because my baby was "late" then I wasn't dilating so I was "advised" to have an epidural, which was NOT in the plans. Anyway I followed my Dr.s advice, had the epidural AFTER 12 hours of "natural" labor. My sons heartbeat started to drop low with contractions so she again "advised" a c-section. I said no, 3 hours later, there I was in the operating room... 20 minutes later I had a son. I recently moved to Mountain Home AFB Idaho and now am being told they don't do VBACS in hospitals here. I have been shown links to advice help but I really want to hear from a mom who has had a VBAC here in Idaho. Where did you go? Which Dr. did you see? Did insurance cover everything? How did it go? What are your opinions experiencing both now? Please help!!!


Asked by JennO2 at 7:56 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • I'm not in Idaho, but I've had a Vbac. If you're at Mountain Home I'm assuming you're military. Have you talked to Tricare and asked them?

    I was rather pushy about getting my vbac. In fact, I was the first one to have one where we were. I finally got so fed up with it I told the OB that if he wasn't willing to work with me on this, then fine, he wouldn't see me again until I showed up in the ER in labor. (NOT the way to go with it, btw! - That would NOT have been a good idea for me or my baby!)

    You might not be able to deliver at the military hospital, or you might have to find a new Dr. If you are military and you go on base, then I would talk to Tricare and get a list of outside providers and then call them and see if you can find one that will do a vbac, or will consider doing one.

    I also know that Tricare covers midwives and etc, and that might be an easier route for you to go.

    Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:31 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

  • I dont know anything about a your state, but I do know alot of hospitals and Dr's dont do them because they have to have special insurance to preform them and it is to expensive when most Dr's dont care if they just do another c/s. Most areas it is better to have a midwife, and deliver at a birth center or at home if you really have your heart set on it. You can also call your local hospitals and ask the head nurse if they do them there, and ask what Dr to call to get one. I live in a fairly large town and only 2 hospitals and 3 Dr's here do them. You can also call a few midwives, or doula's (highly recomended if you are doing a vbac anyway) and they will sometimes share their info on if they know a Dr that will preform them. Most midwives hava a back up Dr they use that is vbac friendly. GL I hope you get the birth you are hoping for the next time around.

    Answer by AK_aries at 8:25 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

  • I am not in Idaho but I would HIGHLY suggest that you join "Natural Pregnancy and Birth" and "Birth Is Normal."

    Both of these groups will have a wealth of information for you and probably a lot of women in your area!! :)

    Good for you for making this decision. It's safer than a repeat c-section for the majority of women so fight for what you want!!

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

  • Yeah, I'm sorry I don't know anyone in Idaho. I'm going for a VBAC. I'm 34 weeks pregnant with my second child. I will be having my baby at UCLA, they are the most VBAC friendly hospital. I'm excited. I decided to switch my OB doctor and a scheduled c-section to a nurse-midwife and a vbac when I had a dream that I had a natural vaginal birth and had a baby boy --- before I knew it was a boy. Crazy, lets hope my dream actually comes true!!! Good luck to you. I just did a lot of just have to call up hospitals and look up on the internet.

    Answer by GreekMama28 at 1:01 AM on Apr. 20, 2009