Is is okay for my two year old to go with his grandparents for two weeks across the US?

My son's father lives in new york and we are in texas. His grandparents want to fly him up for 12 days to visit with his dad. i don't want him to go due to my own selfish reasons and the fact i think he's too young. His a very clingy baby too. never wants to leave my side. his father never gets to see him and is actually making an effort so i feel i should say yes. help pleaseee.

summerdaile

Asked by summerdaile at 8:16 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• no one can tell you what is best. You are right though, he deserves to see his father. I personally would let him go.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 8:26 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• He can't fly by himself at that age, so unless someone is going with him it's a moot point.
    Anonymous

• his father's parents live twenty minutes away from us in texas. they are flying up there and want to take my son. so he's flying with two people
    summerdaile

Answer by summerdaile at 8:29 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Ah! That's not how the original post read to me.

Unless there has been abuse or neglect in the past with the father, he deserves to see his son. Normal visitation would probably be closer to 6 weeks of the summer so be glad it's only 12 days!
    Anonymous

• I think that if the father is making an effort to see his son, and wants to see him, then I would let him go. Unless there's any reason you don't trust his parents or him?? That's just what I think, it's your own choice and I think that you should go with what you think is best.
    Anonymous

• Seems that the grandparents are the ones that are initiating the visit, NOT the baby's father. Where has the father been all this time. If he wants to see his son, they he would make efforts to come see him in Texas. I would never let my children go across states with anyone else other the me or my husband. But that is just me. If your gut is telling you NO. then stick to it. NO one should force you to do what you do not want. Try to make other arrangements. good luck. I hope it all turns out OK.
    Anonymous

• I left my son with my mom for about two weeks he was fine at that age. I had to though because of a gal bladder removed.
    ladyluck09

Answer by ladyluck09 at 8:53 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• i say if they can pay for both of you to fly then thats fine, no way kiddo can fly alone. better check with the dad first though, make sure its not a grandparents sneaky way to make it about them without making it about them. if your not comfortable with it, dont do it. dad could always come to texas. i flew back and forth between two states up until the time i was 5. i honestly dont remember any of it, i'd wait until your child is older and can get more out of the visit.
    m4m4

Answer by m4m4 at 10:56 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I have a two-year-old son and his father and I are not together. I want my son and his father to have a relationship, however, I explained to his father that he and I are the ones who couldn't make things work out, and that it's not right to disrupt our son's life. I came up with the idea that our son should stay at home where he is comfortable with familiar surroundings and his father can visit him and stay with him here. I told him that he's the one who left and he can live out of a suitcase every other weekend and holidays. To give them time together, I leave for the weekend and live out of a suitcase too. We caused this problem and owe it to our son to keep his life as stable and comfortable as possible while he is this young. When he gets older we'll let him decide.

I would never let my two-year-old travel like that without me. Just my two cents.
    Anonymous

• if u trust the father and the grandparents then sure why not u could probably use a nice break not saying u dont love ur kid but we all need a mommy break sometime
    Anonymous