Is your 3 yr old as destructive as mine?!

My daughter will tear up anything she can! I am constantly finding her ripping her books, taking toys apart, messing with her dvd player. I will buy her a new toy at the store and not even 3 hours later she is finding some way to mess it up! lol.

Kbmancine

Asked by Kbmancine at 8:20 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Whew I've found my son's equal. Except he does things far more worse that I wouldn't care to name on this site.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 8:21 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I am a daycare teacher & I have 3 year olds. I have one girl who likes to hurt the other kids & herself...the day before she was kicked out, she cut her arm on purpose. I have 2 boys that will tear up any worksheets or coloring pages I give them...and break crayons. It's terrible!
    Anonymous

• Yep, my son is about to be three and he does just that. He DESTROYS everything. no matter what it is. if he can find a way to break it, rip it, ANYTHING to get it thrown in the garbage. I can't even afford to keep buying him new toys and things. So he is getting to the point where he will have NO toys. Not sure what he'll do then. Hopefully he'll leave his bed out of it!!! If you find something that works PLEASE let me know!!!!!
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 8:43 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• My son is 3 and is exactly the same way. It isn't your fault and it isn't really hers either. She is just very curious and it sounds like quite mechanical. What we had to do with our son is find toys that did come apart. Toys that could be disassembled and put back together. Also with her toys that aren't supposed to be taken apart, if she breaks them, take them away and tell her if she can't play with her toys the right way, then she won't play with them at all. Thats what we had to do. It is working, but it is going to take a while for them to understand. I hope I have helped, and if not I am sorry. Just hang in there, she will get it.
    merobertson1985

Answer by merobertson1985 at 8:44 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• No, I've been very lucky. None of my kids are destructive like that. If anything, they are a little too overprotective of their stuff and they get really upset if someone else treats their toys and stuff badly.

Anonymous

• If DD rips a page in a book, I take the book away. She is learning that if she breaks her toys/books she looses them. She has no crayons left and I won't buy her any more for awhile because she systematically broke every crayon in the last box I bought her.
    MammaMcC

Answer by MammaMcC at 10:15 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Nope. I've not had that problem with my 5 year old, my 3 year old or so far with my 2 year old. Although, I won't put anything past the 2 year old at this point!! lol He's been my personal challenge so far!! rofl
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:04 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Nope, my son is almost 4 and when he does take something apart, it's supposed to come apart. I made sure that he has lots of toys that are supposed to be "broken" and fixed rather than trying to prevent this natural type behavior. As for ripping, take the books away and find things like paper, fabric, etc. for her to rip. She may just be experimenting and you may have a little engineer on your hands wanting to know how everything works.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:17 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• The AP who had the child who cuts himself and tries to hurt others, that child would be out of my program pronto. He needs more help than I can provide. I have a responsibility to the other children to provide a safe environment for them to live and learn in. I have "let go" more than one child for injuring self/others. Kids will push and hit on occasion, we can deal with that but there's a point where you can tell there is something wrong either at home or with the childs development. Don't feel bad for doing the right thing! Something to think about. Good luck!
    TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 10:34 AM on Apr. 20, 2009