Does your child mix up the words me and you?

I mean, do you have a child who says "You wanna do it" when s/he means "I wanna do it," or "Me do it" when she means "You do it"?

If so, how old were they when they finally got them straight?

FelipesMom

Asked by FelipesMom at 8:26 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It varies. Just model the correct way and they'll get it all straightened out in no time!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:27 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• YES! This is common and they will eventually work it out. Generally between 4-5 years old they'll have most of it down-pat.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 8:28 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Yep. My son is about to turn three and still says, Mom, can I hold you? instead of mom can you hold me. Or if he's whiny he'll say hold youuuuuu over and over and over again. ugh kids =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 8:39 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Yes! My daughter was speaking in complete, correct sentences but she would get the first and second person pronouns backwards... "You wanna go downstairs with your mommy" or "Mommy I just had my shower" (observing that I had wet hair). She still does it a lot, but it's gotten better and better. I'd say from when she started speaking in sentences like that to when she's got the right pronoun about 60% of the time, about 3 months or so? It's a hard one to correct or model because if she says "you want some" (meaning she wants some), and you reply, "you want some?" it sounds like she had it right... So we started trying to get her to repeat: "Say, 'I want some'" and most of the time she would.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:39 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• It's very common. Try this out... sit with her in front of a mirror. Now, who is "you" and who is "me"? Unlike just about every other word she is learning, the meaning of these words varies based on who is talking.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:46 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• My son is 2 and speaks pretty good don't think he has done it but my nephew does a lot.
    ladyluck09

Answer by ladyluck09 at 8:50 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• yeah its because when u say u to her she thinks that shes u and when u call urself me she thinks that ur me- get it? i dont know if that made sense lol it did in my mind but u know.... lol- anyways just keep correcting her my son is 3 1/2 and he still mixes up he and she hell say her took my toy! meaning his brother lol so its just a matter of time!
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 9:31 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• My 4 year old still mixes up she and he and him and her:)
    mamofive

Answer by mamofive at 9:33 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• my daughter does this , also when were outside she says "want to go outside" but really means want to go inside!
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 11:45 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• when my DD was 1-2 yrs old, I used to say, You can do it after me, then she started saying to me when she wanted something I had, (i.e., video camera, camera, etc.), she'd say, "after me After You' I still dog her on it. But to get her to quit saying it I just consistently corrected her.
    tornado1

Answer by tornado1 at 6:24 AM on Apr. 20, 2009