10 month old deliberately disobeying!

M 10 month old will be touching something she knows not to touch. I will tell her "no, don't touch that", and she will continue to touch it. When I move towards her, she'll pull her hand away!!

Now I know at that age I shouldn't expect her obey the word "no", but what do I do? She's deliberately disobeying. It's not as if she didn't understand me...if she didn't, then why would she pull her hand away the minute she sees I'm heading towards her??

Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:38 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Anon 853, yes a 10 month old understands "No." She's learning what it means more and more every day. Around 9 months is when it's recommended to start working on discipline. Anon, I don't think anyone said anything about corporeal punishment. There should be limits for a 10 month old. For instance, our daughter learned to pull up and wanted to stand up in the bath. We chose not to let her do that. We were consistent, every time she tried we pulled her back down and said, "we SIT in the tub" or "No standing in the bath." A friend of ours with a daughter the same age swore there was nothing to be done when her daughter started that. She said, "We just get a cup and pour water on her, she's gonna stand if she wants to." Since about 12 months old, my daughter never ever tries to stand in the bath. They're still fighting their daughter on it at nearly 2 years old. Be consistent, redirect,.. she's testing, learning limits.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:59 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• At this age, they're just barely able to understand the most simpilest forms of discipline. The most you can do is be consistent. Tell her no. Remove her from the situation and distract her with something else.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 8:42 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• MORE INFO:

If I re-direct her to another activity, she'll just crawl back to the forbidden object and touch it again!
    Anonymous

• That sounds like normal baby behavior to me. Remove the situation from the baby if redirecting doesn't work. 10 month olds do not deliberately deisobey. It's normal curiosity.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 8:50 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• re-direct or distraction is the way we do it. I think it is important for you to stick with what you are saying no to but at the same time I think they cant really help themselves-they are developing mentally so fast.

just stick with your distraction-she is learning. Be proud she is learning so fast. I read an article that it meant your child was develping really well.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 8:50 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Remove the forbidden object from the room. At this age, if you really don't want her to touch something, it simply can't be in her reach. She just thinks it is a game...she doesn't understand the emotion behind the "no" To her, its peek-a-boo. You say no and she runs back to it over and over again. As she gets older, she'll understand more. It is important to keep some objects out for practice but nothing dangerous or valuable at this age. i.e. You want her to hear the word no on occasion at this age, but you really can't expect her to listen. Good Luck.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 8:51 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• that is so funny. There is no way a ten month old can understand your abstract concepts such as "no". She's merely reacting to your corporal punishment. Do you really want your child growing up being afraid of you? She' s not deliberately disobeying. She's being a baby and exploring her world. Perhaps taking a parenting class or reading a book on child behavior at her age might enlighten you. For goodness sakes, quit hitting the child. that's just being a bully. Put up stuff you don't want her to touch.
    Anonymous

• Anon 853: What corporal punishment?? What the HELL are you talking about?? I would NEVER hit a baby! Read the question all the way through before saying such ridiculous things!
    Anonymous

• Start with modified time outs. She won't sit still, so sit with her facing away from the object. Don't put her in your lap, sit with her in front of you and hold her gently. Tell her "time out" and sit there for MAYBE 30 seconds. Be consistent. We did this with ours and before they were a year old, they KNEW what time out meant and before 10 months they KNEW what "no" meant if we said it.

A 10 month old CAN know the rudimentary meaning of the word "no". They CAN be manipulative and do things deliberately! They have the funniest senses of humor at times. And they CAN deliberately disobey.

A 10 month old can do much more than you give credit for!

Anonymous

• babys repeat things over to see if something different happens if they get a different reaction.pick her up and move her away from it as u tell her no.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:05 PM on Apr. 19, 2009