Meghan McCains remarks about the civil war brewing in the reoublican party?

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Meghan McCain warned a group of gay Republicans Saturday that there was "a war brewing in the Republican Party" – a war between the past and the future.

"Most of the old school Republicans are scared s***less of that future," she told a gathering of the Log Cabin Republicans, a group of gay and lesbian party members.

"I feel too many Republicans want to cling to past successes…I think we're seeing a war brewing in the Republican Party," she said. "But it is not between us and Democrats. It is not between us and liberals. It is between the future and the past…

Is she relevant to the republican party? is she stating a truth or just attention seeking?

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 8:45 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• "I feel too many Republicans want to cling to past successes…I think we're seeing a war brewing in the Republican Party," she said. "But it is not between us and Democrats. It is not between us and liberals. It is between the future and the past…

"I am concerned about the environment. I love to wear black. I think government is best when it stays out of people's lives and business as much as possible. I love punk rock. I believe in a strong national defense. I have a tattoo. I believe government should always be efficient and accountable. I have lots of gay friends. And yes, I am a Republican," she told a cheering crowd.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/04/19/meghan-mccain-warns-of-looming-civil-war-in-the-gop/
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:45 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I think her perception is skewed. The "old" Republican party and the log cabin pubs are not different at all. It's the "new" pubs that think it's all about the Bible who are the problem and need to be expelled.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:46 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Reubs are divided because they on;y have SOME crazies and are trying to weed those out. The Dems are untied because the are a MAJORITY of crazies so the minority of sane people get drowned out! ;)

Anonymous

• think her perception is skewed. The "old" Republican party and the log cabin pubs are not different at all. It's the "new" pubs that think it's all about the Bible who are the problem and need to be expelled.

I think thats what she was alluding to (although she isn't exactly a great linguist! lol) I just don't know enough about her to know if this is something really going on or not. From everything I'm seeing with Michael Steele, I feel like their going to try and  KEEP the "bible" repubs.....

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:57 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Crazy Majority, so true.
    Anonymous

• She has been on national TV airing her dating problems.

This woman will do anything to get attention.

Her father needs to tell her to shut up before she is left penniless.

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 9:06 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• * 1974 — Robert Grant founds the American Christian Cause as an effort to institutionalize the Christian Right as a politically active social movement.

* Late 1970s — The New Religious Right becomes much more involved in politics and media.
    _________________________________
    The Moral Majority ---Jerry Fallwell 1979. The Christian Coalition in '87. Are you still calling the religious aspect of the Republican party new? Looks like it's been about 30 years. I mean I guess it's new based on the first Republican Party, way back when. But almost everyone voting today has been voting since the Repubs became tied to the religious right, so you can't really consider it "new."
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 9:10 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

NP, perhaps you should think about joining the Democrats. I'm sure there are some Democrats who are fisclaly conservative, but morally and culturally "anything goes".

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 9:12 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• mustbegrace

Just because I don't want the Bible to dictate the laws of our country doesn't mean that I am an immoral person. I am a liberal democrat, I believe in God, personal responsibility, fiscal responsibility and the freedom to make up my own mind about MY religion, MY body and whom I marry.....Most dems I know are pretty close to that. so stop making sweeping generalizations about us

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:16 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• OMG, You people are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO purposely deceitful! There was a time in this country when even Democrats had never thought of same -sex marriage or walking up and down the street demonstrating that you were proud to support abortion. Neither had Republicans.

You people make it sound like Republicans used to be so much more "progressive" in their views about these things. There wasn't a lot of social discourse a few decades ago about this stuff because EVERYBODY had more sense then!

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 9:32 PM on Apr. 19, 2009