Do you think this is ok to buy with food stamps?

OK, so I have already bought my months worth of food with our food stamps. Surprisingly enough, I found some great deals, so I had about $15 left on my card. Well tonight DH and I decided we would treat ourselves, and our girls to steak. I got some nasty looks at checkout though, paying for steak with my EBT card. Do you think its wrong to buy something like steak on foodstamps? DH does work alot of hours, but his check can only go so far, so for now while Im in college, we need foodstamps to survive.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:02 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Food & Drink

• No, it's not wrong. It was a treat, it is a good source of protein and it is your choice what to buy. I have bought steaks with my foodstamps. Don't worry about what other people think or say. There are too many nosey people that need to worry about what is going on in their lives. If you want, tell them to mind their own business and that their situation could worsen and they could be using foodstamps too.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:52 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• No theres nothing wrong with buying steaks, who cares what other people think. Just enjoy them! Its nice to treat your self to something good every once in a while, we do the same but just with out food stamps. If the goverment cared what you bought then they would have made a list for you but they didnt so buy what you want. :)
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 9:04 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• It's your food stamps, you can buy whatever you want with it!
    Deidra08

Answer by Deidra08 at 9:04 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Don't think there's anything wrong with it, but you can use the self-checkout if it bothers you that much.
    Anonymous

• Unfortunately, the store I was at did not have self checkout.
    Anonymous

• I think steak is better than Pepsi, Coke, and potato chips. Screw everyone else and their looks. Ask them, if they have a problem with it, do THEY want to buy it? If not quit staring! =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 9:18 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• No... it is OK to buy steak.
    Anonymous

• so long as you bought what you needed for the month first, then i dont see a problem. i mean $15 for steak for at least 4 ppl...that couldnt have been like super high grade expensive steak. the govt gave you a certain amount & you did the work to get deals, so you get to splurge a little.

you SHOULD NOT feel bad!!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:44 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Can you eat steak? I mean seriously, if you have money left after getting what you need. You can get some decent steaks relatively cheap...unless I just really suck at picking my uncle good food when I go shopping for him...but he's never complained about his 4 dollar steaks LOL
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 10:42 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• If I'm depending on foodstamps to survive..a treat would have been a special dessert ort something. If I had 15 bucks left I would have bought pantry staples, or extra meat to freeze. I don't think it's 'wrong'. It just isn't a choice I would make.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Apr. 20, 2009