Dr. says 9 m/o should be talking......??

I took my 9-month-old to her well-baby on Friday and everything was up to par except that the doctor was concerned that she isn't babbling yet. She coos and ahhs and makes all kinds of noises. She tries to sing along with music and she laughs and squeals, but she doesn't "babble". She uses no consanants. There is no "mama" or "dada" or "baba". Pedi said this is only a minor flag for now, but if there is still no real speech by one year, we should be concerned. Our instruction now is to read baby books to her more often. His fear is that she cannot hear. I KNOW that she can hear. She answers to her name, she stops at the word "no", she startles at loud noises, she tries to sing along with music, she wakes up when she hears my neighbors motorcycle. There is no way there is a hearing issue.

But I'm still worried. The doctor made me feel like I'm doing something wrong. Has anyone else had this problem?

MommyHess

Asked by MommyHess at 9:04 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Give me a break! This Dr. should not have worried you for this! I have three daughters...they all started talking at different times. All kids are different. If your baby does not have older siblings, these things naturally come slower. You have good signs your baby can hear. Don't sweat it!!
    MamaDiane

Answer by MamaDiane at 10:07 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I wish I had your doctor! My son is 28 months and still dont talk. My daughter was like yours, but now shes 13 months and wont stop! Just givve her time, and be repetitive with the sounds. GL!
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 9:06 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Dont listen to your doc your baby will learn when there ready they told me the same with my son and hes talking now that hes 22 months.. ever baby is different..
    Anonymous

• Your baby is FINE!!!! My good friends son turned two in November and STILL didn't talk then. I'm not completely sure now. But at two you would think he would say SOMETHING. No, he just points. Not all babies talk that early. =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 9:14 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• mine started babbling around 9 months, she knew exactly what she was saying too lol. She is such a talker now at 2yrs old that people always say 'oh well its no wonder she doesn't stop talking, she was talking before she could talk!" But every baby is different, and if your baby is attempting that is good. I wouldn't worry, if she is 1 and not babbling much then I might be concerned, but you still have time.
    Mom2Rylin

Answer by Mom2Rylin at 9:14 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• "There is no way there is a hearing issue"

I don't want to scare you any more than you already are.... but it could be a hearing issue. My daughter is hearing impaired. She can hear some tones/pitches but not others.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 9:15 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• If a two year old is not talking that is a sign of possible Autism...that is scary
    Anonymous

• "Dont listen to your doc your baby will learn when there ready they told me the same with my son and hes talking now that hes 22 months.. ever baby is different." That very well may be true.... BUT it doesn't hurt to have an early diagnosis. I know from personal experience with this.

Get an ABR or similar test sooner rather than later. If the test comes back good, then your all set and can wait it out until she starts to babble in her own sweet time. BUT if the test comes back showing that there may be a hearing issue, you can get her help now! Why wait till she is 2 or 3 years old like some of the other posts say?

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 9:22 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Your baby sounds totally normal to me. My babies all started talking later than most - and not for lack of being talked to, hearing talking, being read to, or anything else... some babies just talk later than others. Mine walk early and talk late, and by about 2 or 2 and a half they've completely caught up in speech.

One thing you might want to try is baby sign - using sign language with infants can give them a way to communicate while they're learning to talk -- and it doesn't cause them to not talk - babies who use sign actually often begin talking earlier, because they have a better understanding of two-way communication. I think mine would have talked even later had we not done sign... it seemed to spark a realization for them, like a lightbulb going off.

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 9:33 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Play some games with her and see if you can get her to mimic you. Smile and clap her little feet together while you say "Ba-ba-ba" and "ma-ma-ma" etc.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:37 PM on Apr. 19, 2009