Need advice from other Christians

I had read a passage that has me thinking.
1 timothy 2:12
What kind of woman does this describe?
I tend to get bossy am I the woman in this passage?

mo2a27

Asked by mo2a27 at 9:17 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

Level 1 (-6 Credits)
  • once again you must understand why Timothy taught this, whom he was speaking to and the culture of the time period.

Back in those days the Jewish men and women sat separately and the people Paul via a letter to Timothy was speaking to the gentiles who had a different culture and the woman tend to be yakky during the services and Paul was correcting them. He was never saying woman couldn't teach but that they could not be in authority over a man. For example, I do not have a problem with woman pastors but I do have a problem with them being the leader of the church without a man over or along side of them. In the NT there are several woman that taught. It was a woman whom Jesus saw first when he resurrected. It was a woman who prepared Him for burial. He had no problem with that but when there is no authority of a man then thats where is gets messy.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:27 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• we might be bossy but I think this means women should not teach men in church
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 9:46 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Thanks I was wondering about that. I have a strong personality, but my man is still the man in our relationship if you know what i mean.
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 9:52 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• That's the meaning I'm getting from the passage. Obviously interpretations will vary based on denomination/individual clarity, but I've always heard that women are not meant to teach the word of God, and I believe it.

Oddly enough I do consider myself a feminist though - I know women are equal to men, I just feel its not appropriate in church.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:00 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• The man is the head, a woman can't go over she needs to be in subjection, she can not teach if she does she needs to wear a head covering showing he is the headship.
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 8:56 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I agree with shaneagle on this one. Its perfectly fine for women to teach in the church, but they need a man in headship of the church. Its not because they are not capable, but its the spiritual covering that they need. Its really important and its for the protection of her, not the oppression.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:24 AM on Apr. 20, 2009