What can I do for a rash on my 16 month old?

The weather was great and the sun was out so I put some Coppertone Water Babies sunscreen on him and the next morning he has a splochy red rash around his neck, ears and face. Not on his arms though? His right eye was a little puffy too. I called the Dr and she said to just keep an eye on it and to try Benadryl...any other options...he's already had 2 doses and rash is still there...doesn't seem to bother him at all...and thoughts would be appreciated..thanks!

bamsmama23

Asked by bamsmama23 at 9:19 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 1 (-12 Credits)
  • tea tree oil, and Manuka honey
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 9:33 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I wouldn't put anything more on him you might cause more of a rash then you won't know which it is. try washing him in just water. rinse him really good but don't put soap or creams on him. He could be allergic to a common ingredient in them you never know. just give him a bad and if you have soap you have always used on him prior I don't think that would do any more damage, but you might want to contact your doctor again.
    ladyluck09

Answer by ladyluck09 at 9:41 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Don't put anything more on him for the night let what ever he has on there wear off if the rash is still there go to the pharmacy in the morning they will be able to help you find something over the counter to put on him or see your pediatrician.
    astallman72

Answer by astallman72 at 10:46 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Thanks so far.. we'll see what the morning brings?......
    bamsmama23

Answer by bamsmama23 at 10:57 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• It is comon for a child to have alergies. My son is alergic to lavender. He can not bath in it he brakes out in hives. And he's alergic to choclate and soy produts. I found out the hard way when my ex gave him Choclate Ice Cream and bought lavender detergent to wash his clothes.And gave him soy produts. He broke out all over his body.I say don't use it anymore.
    diffy1068

Answer by diffy1068 at 11:04 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Probably going to take two days or so to fade. Ask the ped. what ingredients to look for in the sunscreen because I know there is some stuff kids react to, even if it says it's for kids. We use Coppertone but it's not the little kid one.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:33 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Went to dr today(actually my husband took him cause I had to work...yes, he IS a great dad:)) she said the rash was most likely from the sunscreen and to let it just run through him. I think we'll try California Baby sunscreen next time...no chemicals. Google sunscreen for children and it's amazing the things that will come up about it...all the bad stuff in SOME of them. I'm now ready for the rain to quit and to have a nice day out so we actually have to use the sunscreen! Thanks ladies for you input!
    bamsmama23

Answer by bamsmama23 at 10:28 PM on Apr. 20, 2009