ugh!

Im at my wits end here....my 21 month old wont eat! I try to feed him anything and everything just to get it in him but nothing.... I feel like such a bad mommy because i cant get him to eat dinner and it makes me feel worse putting him down for bed knowing he didnt eat a thing and since he wouldnt eat dinner (i tried giving it to him i tried letting him feed himself and still nothing) so i gave in and let him have a muffin (thats what my kids were having for desert) and he ate a few bites and thats it- am i a bad mom for not forcing him to eat some real food? this is what he had today- breakfast a cup of oj and a handful of cheerios....actually like 3 cheerios before throwing the rest onto the floor... lunch 1 slice of turkey deli meat 1 cookie and a cup of milk....i tried to give him potato salad too but he spit it out... and then for dinner like i said he didnt touch it.. just the few bites of the muffin... i feel horrible

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:27 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You're NOT horrible!!! My son is about to be three and STILL does this from time to time. It's just a phase. Let him have the choice to eat. Give it to him and if he won't eat it, then fine. If he does, even better! You can't force him anyways. Just make it no desert and no goodies and no special snacks unless he starts eating better. If it actually WORRIES you take him to the doctor, but it sounds like just a phase!!! Good luck =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 9:32 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• NO,NO,NO, = Do not feel horrible. This is the way alot of kids are. My kids Doctor has joked around before that kids live on love,air and an occcasional bug that they pick up on ground. LOL.
    But really this is just a phase, a Child will eat what he needs. Please for now just let him eat what he eats. And if it would make you feel better and if Child will drinl it, try the Pedisure (you know the shakes loaded with everything they need). Please just go with it. GL.:)
    bristle3kids

Answer by bristle3kids at 9:34 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• pediasure and Manuka honey
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 9:37 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• He will eat when he is hungry.
    It is amazing to me that my oldest even lived to be ten. He has never eaten very much, it is only in the last year that he has started eating and now he eats more than me.
    Sometimes they are hungrier. Keep offering him foods. I do not let my two year old have any treats until he has eaten some of his meal.
    Good luck. You are doing a great job, don't sweat it.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 9:38 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Has he always been this way??? My nephew is like this but worse he doesn't drink either and is 26 months old. You have to spoon him liquids or squirt it in his mouth currently. He is an SPD child sensory processing disorder. there are different degrees of this his is bad, but some kids will only eat certain foods, my nephew likes carrots, pudding, oatmeal, and hamburger so he eats it every day. he may or may not grow out of it. changing testures will make him sick so if he starts out eating one thing you have to wait awhile before offering something else or he pukes.
    ladyluck09

Answer by ladyluck09 at 9:52 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• ladyluck- oh wow that is terrible- no my son just started doing this- he used to eat everything in sight- this just started maybe a month and a half ago- amd anything that needs to be eaten with a spoon he wont touch- even ice cream and puddin- he just will not touch it- if he cant pick it up with his fingers he wont let it pass his lips- all he seems to want lately though is milk or juice or water- thats it just fluids
    Anonymous

• My 4 yr. old has always been a picky eater and still is...he eats better that he used to though. I took him to the Dr for it when he was about 2 and the Dr. said he's not gonna starve, he'll eat when he's hungry enough and he also said if he wants to eat ice cream for breakfast, let him as long as it's something to fill him up. But keep trying new things...and old things...Try, try, and try again. Believe me I felt like a bad mommy too and still do to a point especially when I have a grandmother always saying.... "He doesn't eat enough" or "You're not feeding him enough"... She's lucky she's old and my grandma... Lol. Good Luck!
    KL24

Answer by KL24 at 12:45 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Toddlers feel their purpose in life is to make their parents nuts.. Don't feel bad. Todders won't starve! however, I wouldn't give cookies or other treats if he won't eat his meal. You'll want to make sure whatever he does eat is nutritious. My son is 2 and has days when he just nibbles. I've learned to live with it as long as he's otherwise fine and is drinking. I've found that giving him fruit first in his meal sometimes helps. He likes fruit and it gets him eating. I think follow with meats, veggies, etc. I sometime give hims options so he has some control over the meal but I refuse to be a short-order cook! Good luck!
    Anonymous