breastmilk question...

I recently had some breastmilk donated to me for my LO....anyway, I was just wondering if it's possible for the milk to be tested for diseases....I realize HER bloodwork would be best but if I don't have that, can I have the milk tested before I give it to my DD....thanks and please don't tell me I need her paperwork b/c she has already gone out of town back home. I just want to know the answer to this. thanks a lot:)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:47 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• "TONS of babies lives have been saved with donated breastmilk...according to the WHO #1 us directly BFing from mom #2 is pumping milk for your own baby #3 is donated BM from another mom and #4 is formula....thats in order of the safest and the most nutritcious... "

You mean preemies that get BM from milk banks where the milk is pasteurized. Pasteurizing it kills the antibodies in it. Not to mention that even if it wasn't and the mom was disease and virus free, the baby won't get what she needs because the breastmilk is not her mothers. A mother's breastmilk is specially created for HER children not someone elses. I just quoted an article from an M.D,that says do BOTH or do formula because the risks of donated BM outweighs any benefits.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 10:55 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Where did you get donated breast milk?
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 9:51 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I would not give my child a strangers breastmilk.
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 9:52 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• off of Milk share...whY?
    Anonymous

• ok....thanks but nobody is answering my question....
    Anonymous

• I'm with Naths kitten... Where did you get it? If it's from a milk bank, it will be fine. If it's from a stranger then you can't know. I don't know that it will be easy for you to test the milk itself. If it is from a friend or relative, just ask them for bloodwork - surely they would understand!
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 9:55 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Breastmilk can carry diseases such as hep B, HIV, and tuberculosis. You need to have the milk pasteurized. According to Jane Morton, M.D., even if the milk is disease free, her milk could contain bacteria and viruses that are harmless to her baby but not yours. Your child won't have those antibodies to protect her from those things. That's why milk banks pasteurize the milk.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:57 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• so is it better to give her formula/??
    Anonymous

• Can you breastfeed and formula feed? That's what I did because I couldn't produce enough.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:59 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• thats what im doing now but I feel so guilty giving her formula b/c of what everyone says about it and she's getting so constipated...
    Anonymous