my baby is only 10 months and she hits and pulls my hair what should i do?

brittney.h.

Asked by brittney.h. at 4:41 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ten months is still young. What he needs right now is gentle guidance. Grab his hands (gently) when he reaches for your hair and direct them to 'pet' your hair rather than pull it. (I used to do this while saying in a whisper "gently".) Same for hitting. The idea is to redirect his action to one that is appropriate, so that he learns what is and is not acceptable. (It goes without saying that hurting him back is NOT the way to teach him this.)
    If he is doing these things when he is angry or frustrated, still catch his hands before they strike you, but then continue holding them and try to calm him down with rocking or soothing words. Eventually he will get that that is not the appropriate way to express anger, and when he becomes more verbal you can suggest words that he can use to let those aroung him know he is angry without hitting or causing pain.

Good Luck

~C.C.
    DivaMomCC

Answer by DivaMomCC at 4:52 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• well, I think she is just reacting to you. lol!! my kids didn't really hit and things but my son does love to pull my hair and sleep with it. lol!! i ebf my daughter so she would twist my hair til she slept, sweet i know. lol!! my son well he just likes to play with my hair. he is 13 months but he does chase his sister and pull her hair. I tap his hand and tell him "NO this isnt nice" he puckers his lip out then does it again lol!! god luck!!
    1boy1girl4me

Answer by 1boy1girl4me at 5:09 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• uh you could pull it back?
    lynn63042

Answer by lynn63042 at 5:41 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Simon used to do that too. except he didn't hit, he pinched. We would tell him NO that hurts, and if he did it again he would get put down. HE started doing it while he was BF. He learned pretty quickly that if he wanted to be held, he didn't pintch!
    Simonsmama

Answer by Simonsmama at 5:52 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I agree with DivaMom. You can also walk away from her when she does it, just to show her that it is not a game that you like to play. If you keep walking away each time she does it she will connect that when I hit, mommy goes away.
    smokefan20

Answer by smokefan20 at 7:20 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• say no and then do it back
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• say no, pull her hair back, or swat her bottom. Discipline is NOT abuse. You dont have to do it hard enough that it is torture, just to give her a little sting so she is associating pain with that action. Kinda like touching a hot burner. You get burned, and it hurts! So you dont touch it anymore.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:48 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• my daughter did the same thing her doctor said it was a stage most babies go through they get to learn their strength and not know how to handle it.i just calmly told her no that hurts mommy and moved her hand away everytime or got up and walked away from her everytime she did it and eventually she noticed she lost my attention by doing it and stopped.
    ShYmAmA08

Answer by ShYmAmA08 at 10:09 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• i understand at 2 to smack back or to pinch back but at 10 months old guys??? are we serious ? i dunno maybe my opinion but a 10 month old doesnt understand the concept of what they do hurts u...but they want the attention they do it for your attention so what way to hurt them is to walk way and show them that they loose your attention by doin that...theyll stop...smackin them back jus shows them that well mommy did it to me so its okay but damn that hurt.
    ShYmAmA08

Answer by ShYmAmA08 at 10:13 PM on Jun. 21, 2008