How do I choose a bed wetting alarm?

Hi. My 8 year old daughter is a bed wetter and it has been suggested that I get her an alarm that will wake her when it senses wetness. I think it's worth a shot BUT there are so many different alarms to choose from. So I'd like to know if the purchase is a good idea and if so, any recommendations for brands or types. Thank you so much!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• what is her diagnosis?sounds wierd?maybe she has a sleeping disorder?sleep apnea?
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 10:35 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I have heard of them, and also heard that they work. I would personally look at your daughter. What wakes her? Noise? Movement? Light? I'm sure the different brands have different "alarm" methods. Whatever works for her in the morning to get her up, should work with the alarm. =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 10:36 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• The doctor says it's hereditary and that she would grow out of it. Her father was a bed wetter.
    Paulah76

Answer by Paulah76 at 10:37 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• maybe just wake her up every 4 hrs. and let her go.
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 10:39 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• They do work! I can't recommend any one for you since I used one over 30 years ago. Mine was a sensor pad that went under the sheet. Worked great.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:13 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Hey, they don't work.. Trust me! I had one too, because I bedwet until I was almost 14.. And all it does, is go off once you've peed, so you get up and can't pee, and basically it just pisses the child off. haha.. But they are really expensive, so don't waste your money.. Also , don't stop her from drinking at a certain time.. That doens't work as well! She'll grow out of it... I did.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• As you can see, experiences vary. The AAP says they have up to a 75% success rate so it is well worth trying. They can take up to 3 months to work though.
    http://www.aap.org/healthychildren/07winter/wakingupdry.pdf

Another method to try:
    Wake her at 2am, every night, for 5 nights.
    Is she always wet by then? If so, start waking her at 1:30am.
    If she's still dry, switch to 2:30am.
    Wake her at that time, every night, for 5 nights. Again, if she is always wet by then, start waking her half hour earlier, if she is still dry start waking her 1/2 hour later.
    Keep doing this until you find the window where she ususally pees in the night. Then start waking her every night 1/2 hour before that time. Keep waking her, every night, until she starts waking herself. That can take months or years but a neighbor of mine swears by this method.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:07 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• She'll grow out of it. I was a bed wetter until I was almost 12. My 7 year old is a bed wetter. She even saw a urologist who does not recommend waking them up in the middle of the night because kids need to sleep and interrupting their sleep cycle can mess with their school day.. Kids waking up to pee on their own is completely different than them being forcefully woke up and forced to use the bathroom.
    Anonymous

• OMG, forget the alarm thing. It is not going to kill her, being wet. I would just try giving her drinks early in the day, and limiting them at night, she must being going to bed with a full bladder, and a loud alarm might just scare her, and she won't get a good night sleep.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:48 PM on Apr. 20, 2009