my daughter is 5wks old. I have a pump from Madella. Electric/battery, and when I pump I only get 2oz if Im lucky. My nurse said she never had much luck with pumps because of her size. Could I be to big for the pump {38dd} ? I try to pump atleast 1hr after she eats. Im still alittle confused on how often to pump & should I pump at the same time everyday? I really dont need to pump alot for storage cuz Im a stay at home mom. But just in case.

daisy6878

Asked by daisy6878 at 10:40 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The old fahsioned way is not formula, its actually getting someone else to nurse your baby, but guess I don't need to go there

As far as pumping .5-2oz a session is normal...you are perfectly in that range and even if not it doesn't mean supply is low.

If your baby nurses on one side pump the other and switch next feeding...if baby does both sides pump 1/2 way between feedings like you have been doing.

Bottles only need to be 1 oz an hour for when you go away from her...so eatting every 2 hours then 2 oz, 3 hours then 3 oz per bottle...BM is not formula its amounts don't need to be increased because it gets better with your babies age.

BTW to the mom having twins...your body will make WAY more than enough in the beginning...enough for 10 kids sometimes...if you nurse both babies on demand no bottles you will make enough milk, theres NO need to pump unless you plan to work, ask moms of multiples in the BFing groups
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 11:05 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• fancy just do it the old fashioned way!
    formula for when u are gone
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 10:44 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I've heard the same thing. I know breast size doesn't matter when it comes to feeding, pumping however may be a different story. We're going to rent a pump from the hospital for the first month and let me try. IF I really can't pump well, or its taking too much time I may supplement with formula (I'm having twins btw).
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 10:45 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• ON second thought...I think I will supplement with formula LOL!
    katzmeow726

• I would not use the pump until the baby is about 10 -12 weeks-- after that for purposes of building a supply so you can go out and be sane (or at least try) again LOL I would pump for 10 minutes after the baby has nursed and is FULL... I'm assuming since you are talking about the "nurse" this is a new baby... you'll be so much more successful if you do baby to breast
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:46 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• and you can call medella for the large breast size the flangy is not expensive at all
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:47 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• As far as sizes, its not the breast size its the nipple size...there are different size horns to fit different nipples

see here
    http://www.medela.com/ISBD/breastfeeding/breastpumping/breastshieldfitting.php
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 11:07 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• You can give the baby formula when you are not there just make sure the bottle is one simular to the breast and use the same style of bottle no switch ups the baby may get confused. Just be patient I wasn't able to pump extra till my baby was 3 months. your body produces what the baby needs it the baby is taking 4oz then that is what is produces no extra is is a waste not want not situation. keep in mind pumping should be used when you are not with the baby unless you are having trouble getting the baby full.
    goingcrazy101

Answer by goingcrazy101 at 11:09 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I had the medela single deluxe pump and couldn't get anything out of it. I purchased a pump in style on Monday and have about 10 feedings worth of breat milk in the freezer now. :) I think the cheaper pumps don't work as well and that I should've just paid the big bucks from the very beginning.
    RndmTsk02

Answer by RndmTsk02 at 3:06 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• tabi_cat. I'm not concerned about supply. I choose to supplement with formula for many personal reasons. NO I am not working, but since i"m having the third set in my family I am hoping genetics won't be mean. All the other sets had opposite feeding schedules. One would be hungry, and by the time they'd finished, the other would be ready. Call me selfish but I don't want to spend all my time with a baby or a pump on my ta tas. And I really would like for DH to have a chance to feed them too. Why? Because I think its a wonderful experience for him. I'll exclusively BF for the first 2-3 weeks then introduce bottles and/or formula. Like I said, its not over concern with how much I"ll produce. Its that I want a little freedom and formula will give it to me. To top it off I met some jerk lady today who said by supplementing I'm ruining the nutrition value of my own breast milk...
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 3:48 AM on Apr. 20, 2009