How do you choose a digital camcorder?

I'd really like to buy a digital camcorder to replace our Hi8 one, but am not even sure what I should be looking for, if the price reflects the quality, or if they are all pretty decent and it doesn't matter.
Any info from someone more techno-savvy than I would be great. Thanks!

jess237

Asked by jess237 at 11:08 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I have a sony handi cam and i really like it. very easy to use. I got mine 4 yrs ago so it is an older model and still uses the tapes. my mom just got a brand new sony handicam, it is still easy to use, tho a littl emore confusing for me because it is all digital and no tapes involved. tho im sure if i had to time to play i could figure it out. i think they can be pricey tho. i always go online and look and look at people review for items to see what people think before i buy something big. ino you can do that at most major department stores
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 2:16 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Well, if you are buying online, I recommend that you check out any store with resellerratings.com and see how they rank. There are some companies with very questionable practices and they are generally the ones with the lowest prices.

B&H and Adorama are great places to buy camera and video equipment. Highly rated and dependable and great customer service. What you need to decide is whether you want a camcorder that uses the mini DVDs or memory cards or a has a hard drive. Some use a combination of memory types.

Most of the ones on this list will be good:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=search&A=search&Q=&sb=bs%2Cupper%28ds%29&sq=asc&sortDrop=Price%3A+Low+to+High&ac=&bsi=&bhs=t&ci=1871&shs=&at=Brand_Canon&at=Brand_Kodak&at=Brand_Panasonic&at=Brand_Samsung&at=Brand_Sanyo&at=Brand_Sony&x=29&y=11

Don't go with an off brand. Find a camcorder at the price you are wanting to spend and you will do fine.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 2:57 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• we have a sony handycam DVD one. i remember being overwhelmed while choosing. i would go to consumer reports to research. some are very expensive. i went for middle of the road with a mini DVD that can be put inside a larger DVD for easy play back. good luck
    paulad

Answer by paulad at 7:27 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• The more they are able to zoom, the more expensive they will be. I'd play with all the ones in the store in your price range and compare things like focus, ease of use, cost of DVDs etc.
    kbates1208

Answer by kbates1208 at 12:34 PM on Apr. 25, 2009